If you only had one DIY eq you wish to build, which would it be?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canidoit

You've got your preamps and compressors, now all you want and have time for would be one DIY EQ, which would you build and why?

Only one?
Well it would have to be an 8 band eq then: 
2 Bands of a tube Pultec. 4 Bands of a GML. 4 Bands of a 1081

API 550's! 8 channels.

why: because they're great sounding versatile eq's and they sound good on anything and everything.

I love my stereo Pultec clone, a combination of teese and two Pultec MidEq:s in the same box would be great.

stefan said:
I love my stereo Pultec clone, a combination of teese and two Pultec MidEq:s in the same box would be great.

Hi Stefan.... is yours true stereo, or dual mono?

Im building something similar at the moment.

Is it a mixing eq or a "mastering eq"?

I guess I would go with a 550A or most preferable a pultec for the tracking/mixing one and the nite-eq (aka 3D-EQ) for an eq that I would put in my master bus. I just can't get enough of the SUB band and the AIR band. Sontec would be a good alternative, if, say... eeermmmm there were no pcb's available anymore  :'(

snipsnip said:
stefan said:

Hi Stefan.... is yours true stereo, or dual mono?

Im building something similar at the moment.
Dual mono, pics coming up!

He did say D.I.Y.
the 550 and 1081 may be a little out there

i'd say if you want more flexable go the
parametric route or close , Igor had a couple of things

if you want more charactor , there's the tubes & passives

or cheap & easy would give you something to evaluate and use
in the meantime , but resale is not as good on the d.i.y.
so don't forget the used market for non d.i.y.

Interesting thread! I am kinda afraid to use eq when tracking. Makes me think I didn't mic something properly. But use eq a lot when mixing. Maybe I should make a couple 550's...

John

okgb said:
He did say D.I.Y.
the 550 and 1081 may be a little out there

that's true. but i think the only real reason the 550 is a "little out there" is because of the fact that it's a 500 series module. it would be a lot more user-friendly to build if we had a whole rack space (maybe even 1/2??) to work with.

For me the nicest I've heard for the kind of music I record is the Pultecs and naturally the 1084  ;D

This one seems nice if you don't need HP or LP filters;
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=33996.0

Jim

What about PeterC's a*p*i EQ project? 

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=33790.0

Seems simple enough to add a couple extra frequencies if you wanted more. 

I haven't built one, but I'm thinking of starting there if I get the budget to build a couple (or a couple couple) EQs.

550 A or B
with multi switches vibes me out [ but i bought  a couple ]
but of course the more complex the harder to build

what say candoit , can or can't ?

iangomes said:
looking at the 550A schematic, it looks pretty easy, no? Other than the dual concentric switches of course.

I'd build the 550's. the A's have more freq selections (harder to build). also I think the 550's sound better. those are a great all-around rock 'n roll eq! can't get enough of 'em.

Well I really go crazy finding the right freqs to accent things. I mostly try to mic it that way. But a good EQ would be awesome. Such as a 550. Then I wouldn't have to spend so much time. I like to track it the way it should be. Or close. Saves a lot of time having it where ya want it. And are usable for mix a second time... Rack mount!

John

Latest posts

Back