Neve 500 series 1084 eq... pre orders.. CLOSED

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shrinking skylar's neve knobs is really easy in turbocad... I could even do it if Skylar doesn't feel like it. The real question is who's going to get them made...

peter purpose said:
desol said:
The other knobs look better anyway, imo. The blue type, in the first pic.

Those look good beacause there's only three of em.
Now that we have four, they have to be smaller.
I'm thinking something like these Sifams....

k_SB151.gif

Those, or these: http://www.sifam.com/knobDetails.asp?kType=Knobs_Collet&Type=S150

djn111 said:
Hi,

Where do you need assistance with ? the DC DC conversion ? or the HP filter ?

DJN

DJN,
This quote from Dan Kennedy.... "I also used a simple transistor turn-on circuit that keeps the converter off until the rack is near full supply, or it's initial surge will cause the regulators of the rack to current limit." ..has me worried about all sorts and I need to impliment the same for peace of mind.

dan.jpg

I think this is the chunk on Dan's

Any help welcome.
peter

iangomes said:
shrinking skylar's neve knobs is really easy in turbocad... I could even do it if Skylar doesn't feel like it. The real question is who's going to get them made...
.....i suppose the way can be this:
1: it need a metal "stamp"(from turbocad file to a solid metal "stamp" by computer controlled "cutter")
2: a company that produce plastic objects (hot liquid plastic injection ...)
3: not small minimum quantity of knobs
group buy ?

;)

The current limiting will depend on the output amplifier.

In the 1073/1272 style amp it draws a good thwack when powering
up, then stabilizes at the 70-80mA bias point.

I don't know what these will do, it'd be worth checking a functioning
circuit.

But, by holding off until the rack supply is stable I don't have any problems
even with a rack full of MP-500NV's.

dan's circuit uses a DC-DC converter.  the transistor (mostly likely the one in the photo, near the silver DC-DC block) probably has a timing cap that keeps it from "turning on" the DC-DC converter until the cap has filled, which delays the turn-on.  i interpret dan's post to mean that there actually isn't any current limiting per se, just a delay that allows the rack power supply to stabilize before it is hit by the turn on surge from his module.

keep in mind that dan's module is a 2 space unit, so even if the module draws quite a bit, a rack full of modules is still only "half full" as far as the current per slot spec is concerned.  another point of comparison might be avedis' MA5, which crams the neve type class A circuit into a single slot.  that module has some issues with the current spike on power on in some racks, at least it says something to that effect on his site.  also, colin of audiomaintenance fame has done a neve type in a single space, and i think he uses an onboard linear regulator- no idea if it has a gradual turnon or not.

ed

Ed, This is why I feel the need to get this right.
I don't want those who build this thing to experience power nonsense, when what seems like a few discrete components will eradicate the worry.
I design pcbs and metalwork.. I ain't no EE, so I need to see how those few coponents are nailed together.

Toodle pip

onlymeeee said:
What output amp you using?

What transformer is that?

Standard 283AM output, but with TIP3055 as oposed to 2N3055.
The pictured transformer is just something for the pic, but the delightful Ed Anderson will be smallifying the LO1166 for our delectation.

Hi Peter
I have used the MJ3055 with good results in an exchange modul for the BA440. And I use a relay for power-on delay, 12 v relay with a 150uF over the coil and a 1k or 1k1 in serial. it's hooked up between 0V and +16V.
Nice work you're doing on the EQ unit!

Hi,

How about a LM317, connected as a current source of 100mA, that way the whole circuit never draws more as 100mA together with the DC DC converter you also have a low voltage super reg. This way I don't think you need switch on delay, and on circuit fault the whole thing never draws more current as 100mA. Maybe for dynamic purpose you can increase it to a 150mA.

DJN

Hi Peter, In your design, do you go straigth from the line transformer to the EQ, with the transformer wired  4:1 to get down to -12db?
j

djn111 said:
Hi,

How about a LM317, connected as a current source of 100mA, that way the whole circuit never draws more as 100mA together with the DC DC converter you also have a low voltage super reg. This way I don't think you need switch on delay, and on circuit fault the whole thing never draws more current as 100mA. Maybe for dynamic purpose you can increase it to a 150mA.

DJN

DJN,
I looked at something like that, but I will be using the TDK CC6-2412DF-E. Not only for it's size, shape and performance, but because Dan K says it's a goodun. I'm homing in on it's application. beep beep

peter

Latest posts

Back