Neve 500 series 1084 eq... pre orders.. CLOSED

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haima said:
:eek:

that's gotta be the most impressive looking 500 series module layout i've ever seen.
I agree 100 fold. I'm quite certain the main stream manufactures will be jealous of the looks of this puppy. Actually, they could probably care less!

At least we can all appreciate it Peter.  :)

peter - any thoughts on plating both sides of the edge finger? the doubled up connections make me feel warm and fuzzy... but perhaps you don't think it's necessary?

years ago, the first time i encountered a lunchbox in a studio, the owner had to re-seat the modules multiple times during the session, lots of intermittent problems.. ergh. perhaps that particular lunchbox was from the wrong side of the tracks... but i wasn't too impressed with these edge connectors at the time :-\

but these day's i've caved in to the 500 series like everyone else... haha

you've done such a beautiful job with the layout, if you nail the front panel design i think you'll have MUCH interest, even from the non-diy world. as far as i know there's nothing quite like it out there.

BTW: dan - great work on the harrison module - i bet the layout is pretty tight for that front panel board!

haima,

some api consoles use the top side pins for other functions, so it is a problem to have pads on both sides of the PCB.  this is why currently manufactured api modules only have bottom side pads.  most racks bridge top and bottom, so it could be more reliable as you suggest, but then you might plug it into a console and it doesn't work...

ed

ah huh. thanks for clearing that up ed.

there are some 500 series modules that plate both sides (JLM... others?) i guess they aren't compatible with some consoles frames...

edanderson said:
haima,

some api consoles use the top side pins for other functions, so it is a problem to have pads on both sides of the PCB.  this is why currently manufactured api modules only have bottom side pads.  most racks bridge top and bottom, so it could be more reliable as you suggest, but then you might plug it into a console and it doesn't work...

ed
Yes Ed. The 200 series also uses the top side gold fingers for side chain signal normals, DC control signals and so on. Quite clever IMHO!

I don't think that the API VPR spec specifies which side the gold finger should be on. I agree though. Should be the PCB bottom.

I'm in the both camp. I've had to work with those fukkin edge connectors
since the '70's in lot's of different but similar racked equipment.

The connectors, especially frequently accessed ones get "soft" and prone
to dirt and iffy connections. With two sides your chances are better.

Haima, the Harrison is spacious compared to Peter's layout. Old age and
laziness setting in...

Dan Kennedy said:
I'm in the both camp...
Actually, since Peter's 1084 eq's are mainly heading for the 51x racks, either side or both will be fine. Our edge connectors are 18 positions and dual sided so 36 pins to be exact. Volker has tied both of the pins together with PCB tracks so why not put gold fingers on both sides. It will be a little more money but might be well spent.

Thanks for the praise boys. Nice to know the thing at least looks good. Bollox to how it sounds as long as it looks right eh..!!
No problem doubling up the connectors.
You don't mind if I leave out unused pins? The price of gold is astronomical.

Toodle pip

i guess the 1% of users who might want to put these in a incompatible console can just scratch the top pads off (& cash in the gold!). the rest of us can potentially gain more reliability.

i say skip the unused pins for sure.

Hi Peter

Now that there is what I call fine art.

Congrats on the vision and execution.

I wish!

Cheers

That is a very nice piece of work Peter.
When will it be tested (and hopefully) compared with the original?
I'm certainly interested in a couple.

Frank

12volts said:
When will it be tested (and hopefully) compared with the original?
Frank

Frank,
Just squirting sine waves in at the mo. Hopefully have some metal around it by the weekend and into the hands of someone who can put it through it's paces.
If you'd like to lend me a 1084, I'll be more than happy to compare.

peter

Back