Neve 500 series 1084 eq... pre orders.. CLOSED

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,

SO I am lucky enough to have Peter's prototype here in my rack! Ner-ni-ner-ner! It has to be said that it has not got the right output transformer yet. I believe this is coming form Ed Anderson. My immediate impression is that it is going to be stunning! At the moment. it won't handle too much level, thanks to the output tranny, and it is rather warmer in sound than I might expect! My every instinct tells me that this is due to the transformer, and not anything else, and I am waiting eagerly for the real tranny which should be like the LO-whateverthenumber.

In the words of MikoKensington - "It's time to carve shit up!" and carve it up it does! Top end with the extra frequencies is absolutely to die for. Rupert's never did this! Guess it wasn't called for for am or fm broadcasting . . . 'kin' essential for me. A nice touch Peter, and seriously usable. The extra frequencies you chose seem spot on to me. Logical progression up the frequency band to my ears at least.

Hi-q seriously carves shit up!. properlike, and everyfink. Hi pass smooth as a Cashmire COdpiece, and da bass goes "Boof"! Very warm bass, and not much headrooom(at the 'mo,), but fat as you like.

As soon as output tranny is updated, I have arranged to compare it with some original 1073's, with which it shares almost exactly the same circuit, only difference being the HF switching, and some extra frequencies in the mid, I believe. No low pass, just like this one. That'll be the real test of authenticity, but for now rest assured that it sounds great already like this, headroom notwithstanding.

It is definitely a squeeze having so much knobbage on the front panel. In practice, you have to switch frequencies one click at a time, not in a big sweep. The pots he has chosen are fairly stiff in action, and well nigh impossible to accidentally knock. I would be unlikely to set a gain amount absolutely before changing frequency anyway. With real estate in such short supply, there has to be some give somewhere, and in practice I am sure it won't be a problem for me. (I am a southpaw, and it pleases me no end that for ONCE something is slightly easier for me than all you righty's! Ha!).

I'll keep you all abreast of my findings.

Kindest Merry Bah Humbug To You All!

ANdyP

Hi,

so, at the end of the day, I am in LURV . . . Baby, dis is da lick! Even with the slightly reduced Headroom or Output transformer saturation. I tried it all over the mix. Kit(m part of ms), bass, kick sn. Kinda hard without freaking with my levels too much, 'cos it hasn't got the headroom with this output tranny, but pretty much what the doctor ordered everywhere. Then I got a vocal sound in 2 mins flat from a standing start. Uphill. And I have been trying to better it all day. None of the usual suspects come close. API 550a just sounds so nasty - clack-y, even!. Now in the past, I have not often reached for Neve for vocals. Even with the Class AB1 stuff(1081, 33114, 3114 etc) with the switchable top end, they just don't go high enough for that "air". And, I have only used a 1084 as a mic-amp before. 1066 or 1073 tends to be just too hard for me in the mix with 10 or 12kHz at the top end. Well, I am happy to report that you can avoid that characteristic harshness with this baby! Dial it up, and wind it in! 20-25kHz is the shizzle . . .

_ "Time-to-carve-shit-up" is upon us, judgment day is here, and woe betide me if i can't get a rack full of these puppies. - 'kin' QUICK! - It feels a bit like shooting fish in a barrel.

Hubba-Hubba-Hubba . . ..

ANdyP ;D ;D ;D

dude what are you trying to do...I've got enough projects on the bench...you need to stop that...please I beg you... :p
holydays in the mountain will be great, I can't stand this board no more. ::)

Peter this is "beautusefull" , as always.
Jr.

peter purpose said:
Why are you converting DC?
Because plus and minus 16v is nfg for this circuit.

Yes, thanks, I know, to make it 51x rack compatible.  But how bout those of us with a 24v supply?  Is it easy enough to omit the shiny box and run it old fashioned on 24v tip to tail?

(I believe Plumsolly was also asking about this on bottom of page 11.)

Merci, frolicking V'nickers... er Fröliche Weinachtenerman, er...

peter purpose said:
84proto2.jpg

Where did you get the shiny 31267 mounting bracket?  That would be handy for the board...  been looking for them.

cheers.

Tommypiper: This is my understanding: It is 51x compatible without the dc-dc converter, because the 51x racks have 24v. The dc-dc converter would be used only if one needed to make it compatible with standard racks. With a 24v supply you can leave out the dc-dc converter just like you would when plugging into a 51x rack.
best, Ben

Latest posts

Back