Tracking Console idea, just want to clear some things up.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGuitarist

So my pro tools controller idea was a bit bust, kinda annoying to find that digi has such a strangle hold over what controls pro tools. Ah well, the information is now there for others.

But the whole making a console thing got me thinking... i mix ITB but i still need a good front end.. so why not make a console dedicated to tracking.

My idea was to use either 1290, 312 or ssl 4k/9k pre's (havent decided and i'm trying to work out what would be the best, or if i should mix and match etc.)
as the preamps with JLM go betweens for the main part, then either a neve 1084/1073 EQ or a pultec clone with both the eqp1 and the mid frequency one as well, it'd be a monster but way cool.

Then just use LED or trad VU meters from the output and then send the outputs to a patchbay which when not in use gets normalled to balanced direct outs, or can be patched into various compressors also built into the console.

So my questions would be, do i still need an output amp if i go the pultec route? and do i need transformers left right and center to get this work, or can i work with just input transformer on the pres and then an output on the direct outs after it gets sent there or through a compressor.

If this goes ahead it will probably be a do a bit at a time build but i think its a cool idea. Anyone have any suggestions or pointers?

I think you should consider checking out the METAs in the Lab. 

After your preamps (whichever ones you choose) if you want to mix the signals down to L & R you'll need a summing buss of sorts.  There's a bunch you can choose from design wise.  You could go either passive (with makeup) or active.

CC

Cool, going through the mixer meta now. Hopefully i can do this with as little transformers as possible. Anyone have any suggestions component wise?

Well... Be prepared to put in a hell of a lot time and money.

Pultecs as channel EQ ? SSL pre's ? My choice would be different for sure . 

No, I really recommend to build outboard stuff instead of a console. I'm busy building a small SSL 5000 console. Already busy doing that for 2 years (which means that I couldn't do anything else in between), and it's still far from ready. This is ultimately depressing, and financially it appears to be a bottomless pit.

You'd better consider buying a second hand , pro quality, small console, and recap it. Maybe with a bit of modification. a DDA would be a good choice, but I'm sure many people here will mention very good alternatives.

But stay away from computercontrolled mixers. (really...!)

Oh its basically just to save money on transformers :p

But seriously, and i'm not being sarcastic on this, thanks for keeping me back in reality. I suppose its great to have these ideas, but obviously time and money is an issue. So Rob i might take your advice.

Heltzerbelter, i really do hope you finish your console soon and thanks heaps for the advice.

Back