Sony MPX3036 potted modules...Still possible to find one?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silvas

So, the studio´s Sony has one of these differential modules blown. It was the right 2MIX balancer module after the master audio fader. Today, i swapped it (after putting sockets, don´t want to desolder anything ever on that PCB !) with the mono mix balancer module, and for now i´m covered. At least i can use the console (without mono). Anyone here can help me? i´m even thinking on doing some small clone modules or something like that, but i´m still looking for more information. I just joined a MXP3K group on Yahoo, maybe someone over there can help, too.

Thanks so much !

do a search on ebay for "mxp". I believe someone is parting out a mxp3000.

here a Sony MXP-3000 T-9412-417-1 Hybrid DLO Bal Output Amp IC

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-MXP-3000-T-9412-417-1-Hybrid-DLO-Bal-Output-Amp-IC_W0QQitemZ380093625109QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item587f587315

loads of other mxp 3000 stuff as well.....

Maybe I can help you,
I have mxp2000 and mxp 2900 potted IC for spare. I got those from extra master section. could you give me the references numbers so I can see..
best
Maxime

Thanks guys !

maxime said:
Maybe I can help you,
I have mxp2000 and mxp 2900 potted IC for spare. I got those from extra master section. could you give me the references numbers so I can see..
best
Maxime

I'll confirm the part number as soon as i can pull the module out again !

Hi Silvas,

I believe some are the same in MXP2000 or MXP2900 etc. You can find spare modules often on eBay for a pittance. I actually have a stack of spare modules for my MXP2000. Let me know which hybrid you need, and I'll see what's what. I might be able to let you have something. Just depends which module they are in.

Why don't you carefully scrape off the epoxy resin, and see what is inside? Must surely be standard op-amps. From the size, some are surface mount, and some DIP. I am guessing that they will be either TLO7x or NE553x series(?), from the list of op-amps that were available at the time. Failing that, I am sure that someone here would be able to do it for you. I believe that these hybrids are often found in vintage Sony Video gear too, if that helps you widen your search?

Best of luck!

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

strangeandbouncy said:
Hi Silvas,

I believe some are the same in MXP2000 or MXP2900 etc. You can find spare modules often on eBay for a pittance. I actually have a stack of spare modules for my MXP2000. Let me know which hybrid you need, and I'll see what's what. I might be able to let you have something. Just depends which module they are in.

Why don't you carefully scrape off the epoxy resin, and see what is inside? Must surely be standard op-amps. From the size, some are surface mount, and some DIP. I am guessing that they will be either TLO7x or NE553x series(?), from the list of op-amps that were available at the time. Failing that, I am sure that someone here would be able to do it for you. I believe that these hybrids are often found in vintage Sony Video gear too, if that helps you widen your search?

Best of luck!

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

Yep, they are in fact a SMD 5534, and a DIL 5532, plus 6 SMD resistors. Can't be too tricky to clone this things. There's a schemo on gearslutz posted by Jim Williams but i think it's not quite like what i'm seeing in the module.

Silvas said:
Yep, they are in fact a SMD 5534, and a DIL 5532, plus 6 SMD resistors. Can't be too tricky to clone this things. There's a schemo on gearslutz posted by Jim Williams but i think it's not quite like what i'm seeing in the module.

well IIRC 3 potted ic's per channel strip. one was in the mic pre's and 2 in the channel. I forget what for. Here is a schematic of one of the potted ic's. I forget which one it is. but it might be what your looking for. I can foward a higher res version to your e-mail... PM that too me.

sorry for it being upside down that's how it came to me from sony...

Attachments

• Diffout low res1.jpg
    Diffout low res1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 59
strangeandbouncy said:
Now you know what is inside the hybrid, can't you just fix the busted one?

Too late...this thing was too delicate.

pucho812 said:
Silvas said:

well IIRC 3 potted ic's per channel strip. one was in the mic pre's and 2 in the channel. I forget what for. Here is a schematic of one of the potted ic's. I forget which one it is. but it might be what your looking for. I can foward a higher res version to your e-mail... PM that too me.

sorry for it being upside down that's how it came to me from sony...

That´s the schemo i was talking about, posted my Jim Williams over gearslutz. It looks very similar to my blown module, but without any caps and 6 SMD resistors.

I have the part number :

T-9414-281-1
1-MTI-9136

Don´t remember the exact IC number but i remember that the shot one was IC3000 on the PCB.

Thanks so much for all the help.

Hi Silvas,
you are right, these things are too delicate. even desoldering without affecting the pins isn't easy.
the mxp 2900 master doesn't use that reference that you mentioned. but I know that the same opamps use different names depending on the console.
for example, the master from mxp 2900 and mxp 2000 use same opamps but badged differently.
I 'll check on other modules if I have one of yours.
what is the purpose of your IC ? Summing ACN or driver? how many volts does it see ? how many pins?
best
Maxime

maxime said:
Hi Silvas,
you are right, these things are too delicate. even desoldering without affecting the pins isn't easy.
the mxp 2900 master doesn't use that reference that you mentioned. but I know that the same opamps use different names depending on the console.
for example, the master from mxp 2900 and mxp 2000 use same opamps but badged differently.
I 'll check on other modules if I have one of yours.
what is the purpose of your IC ? Summing ACN or driver? how many volts does it see ? how many pins?
best
Maxime

Hello.

Yeah, in fact, i broke a couple of pins in the process. Then, i soldered to the IC the same socket i soldered on the PCB. That worked wonders.

This IC, is an output balancer. Located right after the master audio fader and just before the 2MIX out patch points. From memory, it sees the standard +/- 18 volts, inputs on pins 1 and 2, outputs on pins 9 and 10, + on pin 5 (or 6), - on pìn 7(or 8), a metering output on pin 3, there´s a pot connected as a rheostat between pin 11 and 12 (CMRR adjust?), the rest are grounds.

Thanks !

pucho812 said:
my schematic came directly from sony. I have all the repair manuals for that board some where. You would think they would have included that in the schematics...

That Sony manual is pretty detailed, tho.

But no trace of that IC schemos....

maxime said:
Here's a scan of part of the output schematics.
does that compare to the mxp3000?

Yep, somewhat similar. But not quite the same. Our 3036 has no trafos on this position, it has the space for a trafo but´s jumpered. Between pin 9 and pin 10 there´s a small rheostat. Both pins 11 and 12 are used as + and - outputs. Pin 3 is another output but in out 3K shemos i have, these are a "meter output" driving the VU. But i think the chip is the same. You said you have some right? maybe we can work out something.

I got in contact with the ebay seller regarding this. It seems they are parting out one MXP3K, so maybe it´s a chance to getting some spares. It seems i´m needing a couple spare faders, switches, caps and so...

Thanks for the help !

Latest posts

Back