Tips&Tricks : a DIY glass insulated terminal for high Z parts

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyjaman

Hello,

building a tube mic from scratch, I was looking for a way to firmly connect the very high impedance wires from the capsule to the rest of the circuit while maintaining the best possible insulation for them.
Here's what I just ended with :

From left to right:

- I took a good old vacuum tube from the EL500 family and exploded it with a hammer, cut to the desired length the wires connected to the pins.
- with the "diamond" cutting disk of my chinese Dremel copy, I started to cut and then file the glass around the kind of glass bubble/tube that encircle the pin.
- drilled the good diamater hole in the PCB so it just fit and stick inside ( I think I'll also add a drop of glue after).

One could say "don't waste your time, order a teflon one" . Right, but what can I say, that's what is DIY : it sometimes helps me feel my brain and my hands are... alive.

Laurent.

As far as I know, several types of metal, and ... vacuum. Anyway, no tube goes to a to a specific cemetary after it dies and they all end broken one day, and no electronic component is totally environement-friendly .
some kind of tubes contain gas (gas discharge tubes, thyratrons, regulator tubes...), but they're not VACUUM tubes.

At least, a litte piece of this one is recycled.

Laurent.

Back