Should there be another forum for trouble-shooting / general audio Qs?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thermionic

Hi,

I can't be the first to have suggested this, and feel free to disagree.

It doesn't seem quite right posting 'general queries' in The Drawing Board as it's a rare resource for design questions. There seems to be so much DIY-related traffic in The Lab that Qs relating to everyday audio tech work get quickly swamped under DIY threads. I've noticed that members often start audio tech queries in the Brewery these days... Maybe it's because they feel the Q doesn't fit into the other forums?

Wouldn't it make sense to separate the Lab into 2 forums, i.e. one dedicated purely to DIY projects, and another for general audio tech?

Either way, I'm very grateful for the resource provided by the mods and Prodigy Audio. I use it on a daily basis for all kinds of queries. I'm not grumpy, just making a tentative suggestion.

Justin

I understand where you're coming from, little questions can and do get buried very quickly !
Though I must say that "lot's" of these can be simply answered via a quick "search function" usage

Not a bad suggestion though.

MM.

I dont think this forum HAS TO BE the only place for audio questions. PSW forums have great general and manufacturer specific questions asked and answered. this forum is more for the people actually making gear. that's just my take on it.

Read what is says after the "the lab".  I thought that was what the lab section was for?

I think Justin meant a subforum specifically for maintenance and repairs etc for non-diy related stuff.
And general electronics/audio questions that might relate to designing something but not really any diy project.

As in: how do I fix this broken piece of gear or how do I clean these P&G faders, or what's this "ohm's law" anyway etc ...

and leave the lab and drawing board for diy projects only

something like the "tech brewery"

I think it's a good idea!

Arno hit the nail on the head - that's exactly what I'm saying. I did bother to read The Lab's guide, and noted that it said 'trouble-shooting'. However, as Marty says, the DIY scene is so popular that queries relating to general audio tech get buried very quickly. If there were 2 'Lab' forums, threads pertaining to general audio tech would stay on the 1st page for longer, and as such, be likely to get more input.

And I agree, the search function is indeed useful!

Justin

I'm kinda scared to say this, but I don't build very often, and when I do it is not a clone.
More likley to be a switcher, power supply, or some dumb thing.

My tech stuff is mostly fixing-tape machines, consoles, outboard, the occasional Vox jaguar organ, installs,
mods, or whatever. 

I am reluctant to start threads cause I do use the search and there is so much kack to sort thru already.

There are a lot of very clever people here and I feel fortunate to know of this resource.

If I have a question about something I'm working on, I search. 
Say I've got a dorked LA-2... I look in the threads for a similar problem.  Most problems are improper
wiring, no star washer to make contact with the chasiss, or what ever.  The unit I'm working on did work,
but is not now.  Most of these threads don't help in this case.  But there is good info to be gleaned, it's
cool.

PSW does seem to be more troubleshooting and repair questsions...I sure like it here though, you guys
are awsome!

Uhh what was I saying...Oh! yeah, umm it would be great to find trouble shooting or help for existing,
previosly functioning gear a little easier.  Data bases, tips & hints for specific gear, hell idunno.

This place freakin' rawks

Well this has my vote. I think the whole DIY spirit applies to not just building from scratch, but fixing stuff yourself as well. If I've got a 3rd party piece of gear that's having issues, then I'm hesitant to post it in the Lab or Drawing board so indeed I will post it in the Brewery, but it will quickly get buried by "OMG you've GOT to see this!" posts and whatnot so a dedicated forum would be invaluable.

pucho812 said:
then what is the purpose of the lab? it's not just for DIY gear and or clones.

Well the way I see it, "Discuss specific projects and troubleshooting" could mean "Discuss specific projects, such as building a <piece of gear>, or restoring a <piece of gear> and troubleshooting thereof", where <piece of gear> is something like an LA-2A etc. which would obviously benefit a lot of people here. Or I could take it loosely and say that getting my broken Sndcraft mixer to work is my "project", and anything related to that is "troubleshooting"... I'm relatively new here and I respect that there's people and topics in the Lab and Drawing Board that are more important or interesting to the community than me popping in with trivial newb questions on how to fix some piece of gear in a thread that won't benefit anyone but me. And I do mean "me" and am not pointing the finger at anyone else. I'm over-exaggerating of course, but I'd rather "err" on the side of my latter interpretation of the Lab's description until I felt I'm able to contribute more to the community than the odd Black Market sale. In short, I feel that something like this proposed forum would make a good place to post "take it or leave it" stuff that is specifically tech-related, wouldn't clutter up more interesting or "currently relevant" topics in places like the Lab, yet be more focused than a place like the Brewery. If any of that makes sense... ;D

There is a troubleshooting META you know..

I tried to get it started but nobody really helps nor does anybody seem interested.  Most seem only interested in posting a question and having it answered quickly without searching for anything..

maybe call it 'Repair Shop'.

Seems it might work best if relegated to 3rd party repair issues since most of the DIY project specific

stuff tends to stay in that particular thread.  That way members who do repair work as a mainstay

would have a specific spot to go and members who own 3rd party gear that's broken could go there as

well.  If I'm reading the proposal right, the focus would be more on getting broken things fixed asap than

on the troubles encountered during a particular build.  May be a good idea. The other DIY audio forum

has one specific for troubleshooting I believe.   

I'm not disagreeing with what's been said. My point for raising the question is due to the fact that, as I suggested by myself and others, the DIY scene is so incredibly popular these days that threads pertaining to 'general audio tech' (not just trouble shooting) get buried pretty quickly by DIY threads. My suggestion was to have 2 Lab forums.

Either way, I'm sure Ethan, Jakob et al have their reasons for maintaining the status quo. Keep up the good work!

Justin

Latest posts

Back