UTC 65959

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac

Hello all fellow DIYers,

Does anyone have any information as to the UTC 65959. Have done google searches and searched here with no success, (except seeing one on CJ's bench at one point).

If anyone could inform me what the specs on these things are, or even just an understanding of their original application that would be most appreciated.

Mac

What data can you collect?  You gotta give us something.  That ain't no standard part, it's custom order for some other company.  Pictures?  # of terminals? DC resistances?  Case style (O, A, HA, LS, CG, S, other)?  We're all blind and I hear a big truck coming; are we standing in the road?

Hi Doug,
I appreciate your point. Thing is these are not in my possession  - they have been offered to me for sale. UTC 65959 is all the information I have - not even the colour of these things I can tell you, otherwise I would have posted more information. I thought if someone knew what they were, they may be willing to share the info.

If as you say they are special order, and that there is no information about them out there - then I shall not consider them.

Mac.

mac said:
all the information I have - not even the colour of these things I can tell you

They're grey. They're ouncers.
I have no further information. :)

I have a couple, but no info. I wrote to Magnetika to ask if they had any data and they said...

[quote author=magnetika customer service]
The number "65959" does not mean anything to us. It looks like a
manufacturer cage code and the "65959" is the cage code for "SEA WIRE AND
CABLE INC".
[/quote]

Cool. I'd be interested in a classic CJ hack to see what this might be good for. :thumb:

BTW is anyone else dreaming of winding their own transformers now? I always thought it was impossible, but after seeing the sloppy insides of some classic, overvalued iron, I'm thinking I can do that. Or am I dreaming here?

MANY LAB MEMBERS ALREADY WIND ON ALL SORTS OF (caps off)

weird contraptions, dream up your own machine and then pray for wire and sell your soul for lams,

ok, nuthin to write home about, i would go for a Beyer before i went for one of these guys,

if the signal is small, you want a tight core, this EE stack is ok, but i'm jus sayin,

2dt3jbn.jpg

9uypew.jpg

2h49vlg.jpg

9tn77n.jpg

14ya4ok.jpg

15 ea. of 24-25 EE  1/4 inch stack  supermalloy

pri 277 mH,
sec 110 H.

and a 8 H winding in between,

turns?  a few pri, a lot of sec, and a lot more sec,

i do not know the application from this dissection, that 8 H winding has me on crack.  :-X

anybody up for a Triad A-57-J line to line small guy?

i'm jus sayin...

awesome thanks CJ....who knew so much knowledge can come from a hacksaw blade....

so at the risk of showing my complete noobness....what ratio does this make these?

Mac

Hey Mac, did you buy these transformers? There's one on ebay. The seller says the brand is O.S.C. rather than UTC. Here is what he says about it:

Super Electric Products Corp.

Hermetically Sealed 8 Pin Audio Osc.Transformer
I have no info on these other then the mfg. name and a paper that said Audio O.S.C. Transformer.
I can say this...This appears to be a Step-Up with two secondary ct windings.?
With Pins 1 & 2 as primary
there would be 2 secondary windings...
pins  3-4ct-5  ratio 1:7
pins  6-7ct-8  ratio 1:15
Tied in series you get 1:10, so these might be very useful, but dont quote me.
They are in a similar package as UTC Ouncers
It looks like this transformer has Split secondaries.
Mounting bracket included
This transformer might be a little gem!?
23.5mm x 33mm

Cheers to you guys! A fully realized thread! Under 2 weeks You went from even the manufacturer not knowing the number to a complete dissection . Is it saying its from an oscilator?  I miss you guys! Where have i been?
Nice work

Same ebay seller as mentioned before has performed a test. I quote him:

omar said:
High Quality Vintage UTC Ouncer Type Audio Transformer
NOS, Never Used, Solder Lug Terminals, High Quality
Don't have much info on these but I think they might be little gems!
Box they came in says " Audio Osc. Transformer, 2Z9638-1"
They are the size of UTC Ouncer Transformers
Here is my Data after some Test...
  Primary (1,2)        4Ω DCR
Secondary (3,4,5)  500Ω CT DCR
Secondary (6,7,8)  800Ω CT DCR
Sending a 1v 1khz Sine wave through Primary resulted in a
1:10 and 1:23 Turns ratio respectively on the secondaries
Showed a nice image on the scope, no visible distortion
22mm x 30mm

I imagine the freq. response is limited. But my scope is dead. I will resurrect this thread two years from now when I get to test one.

Latest posts

Back