DIY Hell..S.... EQ? Phaeton Son Of Hellios! FIRE!!!Let's do it!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanx for the 2 missing files of the 2003 schematic! Way back can sometime only get you so far......  ;)

greetings,

Thomas

drpat said:
...more like building a fake sports car and modifying it to something different before it even leaves the drawing board.

Yes, which was the suggested idea. To make it something different, to avoid pissing off someone who could possibly get pissed off about it. To be somewhat considerate i guess.

So...

...if it were to be 'different', I would rather have more of the eq's in a smaller format, because i have lots of preamps. This seemed to offer more at a lesser cost while trying to adhere to the idea of making something different. Also, it seemed to come at the right time for the 500 series cases, of which there are plenty of other folks projects and eq's involved.

desol said:
...if it were to be 'different', I would rather have more of the eq's in a smaller format, because i have lots of preamps.

If you look at the schematic, you'll see that the line input bypasses the transformer and goes directly into the first gain stage.

Leave the transformer and the gain set switch out, set up the first gain stage for unity with a single resistor.

Viola, EQ only. :)

Mark

Biasrocks said:
desol said:
...if it were to be 'different', I would rather have more of the eq's in a smaller format, because i have lots of preamps.

If you look at the schematic, you'll see that the line input bypasses the transformer and goes directly into the first gain stage.

Mark

Exactly, and i had noted this earlier, but then erased it...silly me. Line goes straight into a switch, then bounces over to the pad switch and into 1 on the 51c1 card...i believe. So yeah, no lustraphone involved. Also, i read that Dick Swettenham kept all the cards seperate in the original modules because of problems with oscillations at high levels. The reissue card(that's pictured on the first page) bears no resemblence to this tho...obviously TA had no problems with this.

Gotta go for now...two emergency calls just came in...7:30 am yay.

OK!  Colin was kind enough to revise the inductor measurements for us.

http://www.audiomaintenance.com/downloads/carnhill_design_guide.pdf

Yes, I see...From both old and new .pdf's, like from a mystery puzzle, it is possible to
figure out pinouts for most inductors. In new file, for example, missing footprints for VTB9043/44/50/54/55.
Well...Thanx. And, hopefully, the file with all footprints fixed will be there! :)

I working on two PCB versions: Lunchbox format and 1RU. In 1RU version, there will be separate low cut and low boost switches instead of Elma.

What about placing the power supply on-board?

Two versions?  Wow, you like being busy.  ;) 

I don't know if I'd put the PSU on board.  Is the 1RU version two channels?  It might be nice to have them as individual boards per channel.  That way you could configure them vertically if desired.  To fit a few in a tall rack case, or to make a small sidecar mixer. 

MikoKensington said:
I don't know if I'd put the PSU on board.  Is the 1RU version two channels?  It might be nice to have them as individual boards per channel.  That way you could configure them vertically if desired.  To fit a few in a tall rack case, or to make a small sidecar mixer. 

I second Miko.  PSU off board is better, as separate board.

strangeandbouncy said:
Hi,

as a current owner of several original helios modules, and a former owner od several other types of Helios modules, both active and passive eq's, I suggest that going in and out un-balanced is a good idea. I have tried several different trannies in and out, and I can honestly say that they sound best un-transform(er)ed. They sound loads better imho going unbalanced Line-in than Mic in padded. Just give it a try if you don't believe me. Strange, since the mic pres are pure sex! I only have modules with the tiny Beyer trannies at the mo, but I have had Lustraphone, and also some big Sowter inputs on my stolen Active 3 band eq's.(If it was you that stole them, I am coming to get you, and it is going to hurt quite a lot when I find you . . . . ) My life is NOT the same without them.

Let me know if I can help!

ANdyP

hi Andy,

do you own a passive eq module? if so would it be too much to ask if you could measure the inductors and get a inductance and DCR values for both inductors? measurements of size (lams, former etc) and maybe a few pics would be even better! i'm wondering since i'm winding a 10H inductor for the low band right this moment.

greetings,

Thomas

Bump. Can't forget this one.  :)

Be nice to have the lustraphone. The sowter is probably pretty good...

Mic pre is nice. Couple anyway...and some 500 series.

Hi,

sorry guys, I haven't had time to follow everything!

I have 2 different types of passive. I would suggest the ones from MCA Hllywood cansole would be the ones you want to copy - and that's just because they are TURQUOISE in colour . . . I don't know how to measure inductance . . . Help?

I will take piccies when I can. ie they are in permanent use . . .

ANdyP ;D

Latest posts

Back