is there a quick or non quick test to find a resistors rating?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

I picked up an 820 ohm resistor out of the local electronics surplus store. I need a resistor rated for 5W minimum. The value is right but there is no marking forwatage on it. I have it ohmite part number on it of No.4620 but Cannot find that info. It's ceramic... Would a safe guess be it's rated way over 5W?

You can look at Ohmite data sheets and match the size.. to roughly figure power

Ohmite has 40 series but second digit is power and they don't have a 6 watter so 46xx doesn't fit their numbering scheme.

you can always give it a trial by fire.. hook it up and if it doesn't catch fire.. it may be OK..

JR

JohnRoberts said:
You can look at Ohmite data sheets and match the size.. to roughly figure power

Ohmite has 40 series but second digit is power and they don't have a 6 watter so 46xx doesn't fit their numbering scheme.

you can always give it a trial by fire.. hook it up and if it doesn't catch fire.. it may be OK..

JR
joe-electro said:
If none of the smoke comes out it's being used within its power rating.

;D

Joe

well maybe I misread the 4620. I will look when I am back in the shop monday. But I get the general idea: try it out and if it smokes it will smokes. It's ceramic so I am guessing 5W will be with in reason but only one real way to tell.

hey Jr thanks for that info. I found the ohmite 40 series info on their website. I think some of the print came off and that it's a 10W which would be overkill but will work for my needs.

Latest posts

Back