unbalanced mic pre inputs..

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3nity

I have a spectrasonics 101 racked and working nicely unbalanced ....
it works nice with dynamics but with condensers makes a lot of hum...
anything that should be done?
thanks.

didn't those cards use a 1:1 transformer originally? that way you have balanced inputs and you can hook up phantom easilly without affecting the circuit.

greetings,

Thomas

Sounds like whatever's supplying the 48V may be to blame, how is that being implemented?  I have a 110 racked up, but with no 48V (i don't use too many mics that need it, mostly tubes ribbons and dynamics).  Nice sounding preamps, those SS . . .

ben

those boards can work unbalanced..impedance is 600R
They sound really nice unbalanced...i have another channel using a 600:600 jensen input...and sounds a lot darker...
with the unbalanced i use  only dinamics but i tried a tube miccrophone...no 48V is used on the preamp.

Hmm.  Dark with the Jensen . . . but no hum?  I've honestly never used mine unbalanced input, always with a Triad A-67J on the input.  That's probably not much help to you.  Maybe your tube mic doesn't like to drive an unbalanced input . . .not the most common way to use it nowadays, really.  Just throwing ideas out there . . .

ben

I can say i built a royer sd mic that ran very well unbalenced
traded it away before i could try it intoan unbalenced mic pre input

Latest posts

Back