AMEK 9098 EQ, a pop, a hiss and then a disgusting smell! What could be wrong?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

womsy

Hi to all! This is my first post and I'm glad to be here.  :D

I bought a used AMEK 9098 EQ some weeks ago and now it has a problem. First it popped like a popcorn, then it hissed and then my whole room smelled like some nasty electronic smoke. I immediatly turned off the 9098 and thought the pop/hiss and smell came from an exploding capacitor but when I opened the case some days later I saw nothing! BTW the LEDs still worked after all. Please take a look at the pictures below. My questions are:

1. Is it a bad cap that doesn't show that it's a bad one?
2. Is it just me who doesn't see, does someone else see any kind of failure (or maybe a bad cap)?
3. What about the Schaffner mains filter FN 405-3/02 (the little blue box)? Did anyone had bad expriences with that particular device? Thanks...
4. Any other suggestions?

Was the hiss on the audio output or was the rack case actually hissing?

Your 48V regulator looks to be a different color than the other two. 

MikoKensington said:
Was the hiss on the audio output or was the rack case actually hissing?

Your 48V regulator looks to be a different color than the other two. 

The hiss wasn't on the audio output it came from the inside of the case, it sounded like acid was burning into something but I can't see anything, so I guess it happened inside the blue Schaffner mains filter box as described in my first post. There is also the silver box but I can't open it even if I disassemble the screw, weird. I will check the 48V regulator and every resistor tomorrow. Thank you!

might not be a completely stupid idea to remove it completely. It's just a mains filter, and then you have one less part to break. And you just saved money too!

You won't hear or see a difference anywhere.

I personally think any studio equipments' ground design and PSU are broken if they actually need a mains filter.

Kingston said:
might not be a completely stupid idea to remove it completely. It's just a mains filter, and then you have one less part to break. And you just saved money too!

You won't hear or see a difference anywhere.

I personally think any studio equipments' ground design and PSU are broken if they actually need a mains filter.

To be honest..., I already thought about that too! I'm going to remove it soon. I hope you guys stay tuned if I need your help, thanks!

Back