DIY – 12 to 2 – Passive Analog Summing Panel.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhythminmind

Being a DIY novice, I wanted to make myself a nice little passive summing panel for my home rig out of parts laying around the shop. I wanted to simplify/improve my final summing stage. Pleased with the results, Sounds great. Gives me piece of mind bypassing the channel IC’s & master section on my Sony MXP desk.

I used a simple XLR panel, Neutrik XLR mounts, Neve super conductive cable, & OHMITE 1% metal film resistors. Took all of 2 hours to wire up.

10.7k resistors on the inputs & a 220 shunt on the outputs.

After level calibration my noise-floor is at -80 & crosstalk @ -88.

FYI – this is with a John Hardy M1 transformer pre for the make up gain. Nothing better IMHO.

Nice work! I did basically the same thing some years ago. 8 stereo inputs summed to two mic-level outs. It was eye opening the difference it made.

In the next couple months I'll be building up a small line-mixer with basic controls and using a pair of DIY 990s for summing amps.

I used to have the Hardy M1 for makeup after my passive summing box, and loved it. Until i needed the i/o for my GSSL´s and other projects i´ve built since i joined the forum !

It was beautiful.

I've been researching what it will take for DIY pair of 1176's & the GSSL. Would love them for the drum bus. I have a Toft DC-2 FET comp i'm using for the drum buss at the moment. Being the drummer I am I like to feed my comp addiction. So far 18+ channels of hardware compression and counting.

Back