Eicen

sE Titan Mod / rebuild / repair
« on: November 18, 2009, 09:39:06 AM »
Hello.

Does any of you have a schematic for a sE electronic Titan microphone?
I've just bought a defective Titan, and need to repair it :)

Best Regards
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 12:17:23 PM by Eicen »

rodabod

Re: sE Titan schematic
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 04:26:11 PM »
Post photos of the insides. I bet someone can probably take a guess.
Quote from: tv
punchy fat bastard chip

Eicen

Re: sE Titan schematic
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 05:43:34 PM »
I can post some pictures tomorrow.
But the layout is pretty compact, so it is not easy to spot faults without a schematic.

The microphone has been dropped on the floor, so the first thing i did, was to check for bad connections and so on.
But everything looks fine, and the capsule seems intact.

There is static noise on the output. I've disconnected the capsule, and still theres noise on the output.

Jim Zuehsow

Re: sE Titan repair/schematic
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 05:00:27 AM »
Almost everything in the mic is surface mount, and unless you have the right equipment to work on it, you will have a very rough time. I've looked inside one of mine, and I'd hate to have to dig into repairing it, and I did board repair for the last 25 years on that sort of stuff. I think I would contact sE snd see if they could send a replacement board. Most companies treat these as uneconomical to repair and just toss the board and put a new one in. Good luck!
Eagle's Nest Studio
Eagle River, Alaska

Eicen

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 07:56:02 AM »
I'm an educated technician, and i've been working alot with smd components.
I also have the right tools for repairing it.
I only need the schematic, since the layout is to compact, to draw my own schematic from.

Eicen

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 08:40:46 AM »
Picture:

Eicen

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 08:52:14 AM »
Another picture

Rossi

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 05:04:20 PM »
The first PCB could be an DC-converter (oscillator) board for the capsule polarization voltage. There are two small inductors and a transistor, probably the same or a similar circuit as the DC-conveter part in the MXL603 schematic.

The second PCB shows a convoluted mic circuit  ;D.  Frankly, I don't think mic circuits are SE's forte.  This is not SE's usual circuit, but I dont't think it's so much better. I've heard this mic, and I found it more noisy than necessary for a LD mic. If you can't repair it, put in a new circuit, and you might actually get a better mic.

First of all, check the capsule in a different mic, if you can. The capsule is not really a titanium capsule, it just uses a mylar diaphragm that is titanium sputtered instead of gold. So it should work fine in any LD condenser mic.
"I am not a number, I'm a free man!"
"Hahahahaaaaaa!!!!!"

Eicen

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 06:08:10 PM »
The first PCB could be an DC-converter (oscillator) board for the capsule polarization voltage. There are two small inductors and a transistor, probably the same or a similar circuit as the DC-conveter part in the MXL603 schematic.

The second PCB shows a convoluted mic circuit  ;D.  Frankly, I don't think mic circuits are SE's forte.  This is not SE's usual circuit, but I dont't think it's so much better. I've heard this mic, and I found it more noisy than necessary for a LD mic. If you can't repair it, put in a new circuit, and you might actually get a better mic.

First of all, check the capsule in a different mic, if you can. The capsule is not really a titanium capsule, it just uses a mylar diaphragm that is titanium sputtered instead of gold. So it should work fine in any LD condenser mic.
Ohh!.. Thats actually quite tempting. Though i think the mike sounds okay 'as it is'
But since i have the equipment for making pcb's, it would be easy and rather interesting to clone another famous mic.

I think it should be some sort of solid-state circuit, running on 48V phantom. In that way, it could be fittet into the Titan-housing.
And it would also be nice to keep the HPF, PAD and polar pattern abilities, in the new design.

Any suggestions?

The u87a is the first thing to jump into my head..?  :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 07:02:13 PM by Eicen »

Eicen

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 12:02:48 PM »
No one?
Normally people is doing nothing but talking about great mikes  ;)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 12:16:42 PM by Eicen »

Re: sE Titan Mod / rebuild / repair
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 05:09:54 PM »
Hello.

Does any of you have a schematic for a sE electronic Titan microphone?
I've just bought a defective Titan, and need to repair it :)

Hej, fik du den nogesinde til at virke?
Min den driller også..