WARNING------9K5 BOARDS OWNERS-------WARNING.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3nity

TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT THOSE PCB'S FROM OUR FRIEND GUSTAV..
PLEASE VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!

THOSE BOARDS WONT WORK.
THERES VARIOUS PROBLEMS ON THE PCB DESIGN....

PLEASE DONT POWER THEM BEFORE KNOWING THERES A MAJOR PROBLEM.

IC32B V+/V- HAD BEEN MISWIRED AND SO CAN EXPLODE!!!!
C92 IS BACKWARDS AND SO IT CAN EXPLODE TOO!!!

FOR MORE PROBLEMS  SEE THE LINK HERE: http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=34280.msg446464#msg446464

I FEEL VERY BAD BECAUSE I DID THE DESIGN OF THOSE 500 SERIES BOARDS.....

PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGIES!

I'M SURE GUSTAV WILL CHIME IN SOON!!

Jorge Aristondo.

I know it's the obvious thing to say but
building a prototype to check the design first
is wise .
And this when you were giving it away free yet , bummer
caps is an easy fix no ?
and the i.c.s break the trace and reverse with
small wire jumpers

okgb said:
I know it's the obvious thing to say but
building a prototype to check the design first
is wise .
And this when you were giving it away free yet , bummer
caps is an easy fix no ?
and the i.c.s break the trace and reverse with
small wire jumpers

I believe this was Jorges intention, but in this case, english, which is a second language to both of us, caused some problems.

Gustav

I've been away for a few days and I called 3nity when I saw this.

He feels extremely bad about this and I think like Gustav says it was a communication problem. Intentions from both were I'm sure 100% good.

I've met 3nity several times now and if it means anything I can vouch for his integrity. I'm sure this matter can be resolved in a friendly manner. That's what sets this forum apart from many others.

Jim

Okay Guys...
I've been doing some research and i cut some traces and put wires...if you are interested i will post the way to fix them!
Anyways thanks to Gustav for the reply..
I feel very bad about it! i'm sure we can arrange the trouble one way or another!

Thanks and stay tuned..

I'm in for fixing the problems. I think (and told Jorge about that) that this is a very useful project and I do not mind cutting some traces if the final result is a working PCB.

Right now, looks like a list with found problems is in order, so that WE can collaborate in finding a suitable solution for each problem.

Also, fixing those problems could bring an update and better "Version 2.0" PCB in the future.

I'm new to this forum, but reading past posts, I'm pretty sure Gustav and Jorge are 100% committed to this community. Mistakes happens. I made a lot of them over time. No problem with that as long the will to find a solution to each one is present.

This is my 2 cents...

Best to all,

Carlos Lima

PS - English is also my second (if not third) language... :)

I'm just amazed so many of you can handle multiple languages as well as you clearly do. I don't think I could.

Its not too hard to read, write and talk really well spanish and french...English still learning...
Now time to another update...

Schematic to the SSL 9K  its so messed up.
I just came to conclude that its not true to the pcb....
some wiring mistakes ....i'll show the schem and you'll find...

Thanks.

All right guys, I spent some time in the last few days figuring out what is wrong and how to fix it. This will be the first post with my findings. There will be other. Everyone please feel free to correct me if I also made any mistake.

Again, this is in order to make things work. There is NO fingerpointing to anyone. Just hardwork to make those boards that leaved Gustav to work. Of course I have 4 of them, so I'm very interested in making them ok, but is my understanding that this will be good for all, not only for me...

I tried to make photos and document all modifications to the PCB. Any doubts, please contact me and I will do my best to answer.

As I stated before, this will be the FIRST post for this fixing. I will try to make it a step by step process.

Best for all,

Carlos Lima

PART 1 - The audio input:

In order for this PCB to work properly, a pair of jumps must be made:

- one jump from pin 7 and pin 8.

- another one from pin 9 and 10.

That is because API (and the 51X team) wire the input to pins 8 and 10 normally, and this PCB is wired pins 7 and 9. The jump is OK. I checked on my API 512C and they do the same thing in order to no matter what input you choose (+4 or -2), the signal reaches the Mic Pre.

In the next post will be a photo of this jump.

Carlos Lima

Hey Carlos.

I dont want to ruin your fun but i'll do a new batch very soon....2nd Prototype should be ready this week.

I'm not sure how many people bought those boards but i will send you the same quantity you bought from Gustav.

I did some work on those boards over the weekend and i think they just a non working prototype...

I did fixed at least 4-6 more bigger problems ...

Well, it is your call. For me, I don't mind fixing it. Even knowing they are major problems...

Anyway, If you need help in any way, let me know.

Best,

Carlos Lima

3nity said:
i'll do a new batch very soon....2nd Prototype should be ready this week.

I'm not sure how many people bought those boards but i will send you the same quantity you bought from Gustav.

This is a little strange to me.

I understood that you wanted me to do a run of a completed project for sale.
What you wanted me to do was a prototype for you - no payment. (We never disgussed price for prototyping. When people ask for prototypes, they usually ask what it would cost them)

Its a bad board, which is too bad. Nothing to do about that, but I thought that a free prototype would imply that I got to sell the revised edition. (Which was also stated when the misunderstanding was cleared by mail)

It apparently doesnt

I cant really get over how bad this communication has been. Im still not understanding why I was contacted by you in the first place, what your full intention was, and how I can have misread everything so badly.

Good luck with the project.
Gustav

My intention was to help out Gustav.
You were looking for more projects to sell!!

I'm gonna try to be clear......

When i started working on the 9k5 layout i didnt have money for prototyping....
Then i tought i'll asked Gustav if he wants to sell those pcb's ....
But how can we do a whole run without a prototype????
My condition was that you make a proto first...

You got it finally?

Gustav now i;m not sure you wanna do them thats why i said that I'll do a next batch not you!!
Maybe this miss communication warned you??

Take it easy fellow.

3nity said:
When i started working on the 9k5 layout i didnt have money for prototyping....
Then i tought i'll asked Gustav if he wants to sell those pcb's ....

You probably should have asked me to do a free prototype then. I would have said flat out no. Seems like it wasnt a language problem after all.

Im glad you can use the money you saved on the prototype to have another run made.

Very bad experience this one...

Gustav

I think we need a translator!  ;)

I'm sure you guys will work this out amicably.  ;D

`rolling stones voice on....

I know its only DIY but I like it, like it yes I do...

`back to normal...

Jim

Theres nothing wrong i did and God knows it!!

you want to do the boards??? go ahead i dont see any problem??

I tought this was a fixed problem!!

Back