WARNING------9K5 BOARDS OWNERS-------WARNING.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bruno2000 here, reluctantly chiming in, and I hope this translates OK.
Who is being hurt by this situation?  Is it Gustav, for making a run of boards he can’t sell?
What can we as a community or individually do to help out?  Lets move forward.

I just thought there was a misunderstanding re:the prototype thing, which was cleared up. Those boards were bad, so they are a sunk cost. Then I came in here and was surprised that there was a further misunderstanding re:the revised boards, which I was not even asked or contacted about.

No worries, Ill manage. I sholdnt have replied here about it.

And that, is that.
Gustav

Gustav you're a nice guy.
And its not in my customs to try to rip off people.
i said i would handle the new revision, thinking that maybe you wouldnt be interested given the actual situation!
Like i always said i try to help people by bringing that awesome pre into the 500 series.
What i'm a gaining here? nothing!! i dont want nothing too!! i was trying to help our friends at this amazing place.
I dont even own a 500 lunchbox and i dont plan to buy any...i did the 9K5 for the people!

Now Gustav again you want to handle the revision 2?? Fine i just ask for a prototype...
If i wasnt so broke i would send it to fab but hey times are tough...

Please have peace!

Like Bruno2000, I'm reluctantly going into this.

I stated before that my only intention is to help. As far as I know, Gustav has NO knowledge in electronics, he only makes the boards (and do this well). From the last post, 3nity also don't want to handle the cost of another prototype batch. Also, with some effort, those flawed boards could be made to work.

Well, I DO have a degree in electronics, and besides this not being my main job nowadays (too much busy being a studio owner...), IF you guys want me to, I could do two things:

1 - post the steps necessary to make the first batch work (I'm deep in this process with the boards from the first batch i already have, so this is no additional effort from me) and,
2 - help to revise the board layout BEFORE any fabrication take place.

If anyone think I could help, please PM me.

AGAIN, this offer is to help make a good project that has some flaws be transformed into a good project with NO flaws, and THAT seems to be the goal everyone involved are looking to reach.  ;)

Just to be clear as possible, I DO NOT have ANY interest other than make this project viable. I like this pre, have a place in my rack for them (and some others I'm building too) and that is it. This is a great community and will do my best to be of service.

Peace for all,

Carlos Lima

where is the problem?
is this a DIY community?
why not fix the PCBs with Carlos offered help?

I don't get it.
as far as I understand 3nity did some layout mistakes, and Gustav made and sold some PCBs with those mistakes.
this can happen. DIY means: just fix it. cut some traces, rewire some by hand, and as far as I know (Carlos knows better) change some electrolytic directions.

I don't think there is a need of exchanging the existing PCBs ??? ::)
[while for a new run a corrected revision would be fine for sure]

however, I just wanted to order one of those PCBs, but they are not available in the white marked anymore.
Gustav, you have my email address (PM is full), let me know how much I should paypal (one PCB).
doesn't sound like it couldn't be fixed, and Carlos is already working on it.

nearly none of the projects offered here is "building" by numbers,
but a lot of members always cry for options, modifications etc.
now, just modify this PCB.

just remember: it is DIY

peace
Volker

Hey this is getting interesting..
I worked on the 9k5 current version over the weekend.

It never passed any audio...

The schematicon wich i based the design is plenty of mistakes to this add my mistakes and this makes a bomb ;D

I havent had time to get my scope out but should be done this week
I've cutted around 6 traces, 4-6 wire jumpers..

I'll do some more tests over with the scope and see what can be done!

Thanks everybody.

Just chimin in to give my "mind support" to 3nity , and to thank Gustav with the very high quality of those boards.I love them.
I'm absolutely not a five star rated electronician , but I'll be happy to try to understand the tips.
+1 regarding the fact it's DIY ! (=Just Fix It) ;)

Just a suggestion for future endeavors: Build and test a design/layout at least once before putting it into production and offering boards for sale.

-Chris

I don't understand some of the posts here like Volkers.

Read Gustav's posts.

Gus said:
I don't understand some of the posts here like Volkers.

Read Gustav's posts.

What's not there to understand? Its perfectly clear! Can you clarify? I've read all the posts and most people want this misunderstanding to stop and get on with the solution. Volker proposes one.

Maybe you don't meant to but your tone is divisive. We are trying to fix the problem rather than acerbate it.

Peace

Jim

Jim

My post has a tone? what is it 1K, 10K, 440?

read the schematic part.

3nity said:

The schematicon wich i based the design is plenty of mistakes to this add my mistakes and this makes a bomb ;D

I havent had time to get my scope out but should be done this week
I've cutted around 6 traces, 4-6 wire jumpers..

I'll do some more tests over with the scope and see what can be done!

Thanks everybody.

Gus, what are you trying to say? You quote 3nity and you mention Gustav's posts. You are not being clear. You are being defensive when I am not trying to attack you in any way. I just want to know what you mean.

We can all read the posts and we have. So what is your point? I'm not being sarcastic, I really don't see what you are saying. Please be clear and state your point. Thanks.

Jim

No need to start arguments.

I was a bit frustrated over the bad communication. I was a bit frustrated that it seemed to be even worse than I thought when I read this thread. I simply shouldnt have posted about that, and certainly not in public here. Very bad judgement on my part.

Im binning the boards. I think its extremely nice to offer, but I dont think people should spend their time coming up with patches because I fabricated some bum boards due to a misunderstanding.

If anyone wants them, I will be happy to send them at shipping cost.

Gustav

My exact opinion. I don't want or like arguments. I also don't like innuendos.

Gustav, you are a first class act in my books. I knew this was all a misunderstanding and I am glad you and 3nity have worked this out.

Cheers.

Jim

Gustav said:
No need to start arguments.

I was a bit frustrated over the bad communication. I was a bit frustrated that it seemed to be even worse than I thought when I read this thread. I simply shouldnt have posted about that, and certainly not in public here. Very bad judgement on my part.

Im binning the boards. I think its extremely nice to offer, but I dont think people should spend their time coming up with patches because I fabricated some bum boards due to a misunderstanding.

If anyone wants them, I will be happy to send them at shipping cost.

Gustav

3nity said:
To 3nity,
the initial schemo,

http://www.beatbazar.com/guests/ssltech/9k/9k-schem.pdf

has at least one error in the compensation caps of the second pair of NE5534 (C74 and C47). The caps should go between pins 5 and 8 of the chips, and should not be conected to the output of the opamp.

There is a corrected schemo floating around, I believe this is it:

http://home.comcast.net/~tamron1958/9K_Schematic_Corrections.pdf

mitsos said:
There is a corrected schemo floating around, I believe this is it:

http://home.comcast.net/~tamron1958/9K_Schematic_Corrections.pdf

There's at least one mistake left in that one (see here for details).

JDB.
[all fixes to the original schematic are documented in the threads linked from the 9k META, BTW]

Guys Take it easy.
I'm in peace with my self and Gustav.

And thanks to all of you who expressed the desire to help.
This forum needs you!!

There is no C63 on this rendition of the SSL9K pre.

As for C47 and C74, the PCB really has the wrong connection to IC30 and IC 23 output.

Even on Neeno documentation (at SSLTech.com) the schematic still has this mistaken connection. The PCB layout however, is correct there.

Carlos Lima

Back