Poll: Moral Dilemma...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To call firm and come clean, or not...that is the question...

• a) STFU. Their internal communication should be better, and I’ve paid $45 for something I never orde

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • b) Call the firm as it feels dishonest accepting $100 USD’s worth of goods for free, even though I p

Votes: 46 86.8%

• Total voters
I made an order for two transformers from a well regarded audio transformer company in california once. One of the transformers I received was wrong. I sent an email to my contact there, who shipped out the right transformer right away BEFORE I even got a chance to send back the wrong TX (at their cost as well).

A week or so later, I received a package from them but this time, they had sent me 2 transformers instead of the 1 that I actually paid for.
I sent another email telling them that I would gladly return the extra TX or pay for it. They simply apologized for the trouble and told me to keep the spare TX!

Good things happen to those that are patient and honest... ;)

Cheers

Mike

It is pretty unbelievable how different attitudes companies have. Just two simple cases:

1) I got a set of carbide drill bits which I didn't order. I took a look at their price (which was high) and called the company. "Oh don't mind, the price is pretty low, just keep them"
2) I got wrong stuff, lets say wrong pin out components. My project was delayed. The stuff was cheap. The option: "You got to send those components back before we send you the right ones." No apologies, no nothing. We are talking about 2$ or something. I had to order the right ones immediately, loosing the right to return the wrong ones and getting postage fees back.

Good PR. Just how stupid can one be?

I made an order for two transformers from a well regarded audio transformer company in california once.

Ha. I wonder if my double order came from the same, well-regarded Ca-based maker of transformers :)

Just for the record, there was never any chance that I'd just keep the parts without notifying them. I was intrigued as to what others would do. It's fascinating to note that, while 5 people have voted for option A, no one's come out in public and defended taking that course of action...

Justin

just a related type story.
i cant remember how many times ive given a vendor a $10 and they give me change of a $20 by accident. i'm tempted,  but return the extra cash. one time however...
i was in the local drug store. i asked the manager a question about something they sold. he looked at me like i had two heads and said "how would i  know. "i explained why i thought he might and was given another curt answer. when i went to the register to pay. i used cash for a lotto ticket and put the rest of the charges on my debit card. there was some confusion at the register and the manager had to come over to staighten things out. when he handed me a $20 bill from the register that the clerk had already given back to me i paused..... and then walked out of the store $20 richer. now in retrospect im not proud of that but im not to ashamed either. ;)

Voted..

I was going to get some cash from the machine at the bank at night.
And as I was about to cross the street there was this woman at the machine just finnishing her transaction.
As I put my card in the slot I saw this 50 euro bill dangling from the takeout slot, so I took it, pulled my card back and started chasing the woman...

Well...

As soon as she noticed me, she started running... I tried shouting "Hé you left your money in the machine !!!"  ...It did not help, I gave up after two blocks.

I think I earned it now.

Large internet merchants are reassessing the bottom line profitability of recovering product. It is often cost effective to just let the consumer keep the wrong shipment.

I first experienced something similar years ago when a large relatively heavy dehumidifier failed within warranty. They sent me a new replacement for no charge as long as I removed the serial number from the faulty unit and provided them photographic proof. 

I would expect to see "no question" return policies get modified or better managed to reduce losses. Like no question the first 2 times...

JR

Of course, it is possible that some other customer is waiting for the other one, giving the supplier them a hard time saying it has not turned up yet and the supplier is  saying they definitely sent it.

Cheers

Ian

Years ago, i come home after a long studio day and find some 20k worth of universal audio boxes on my doorstep.

I called them the first thing in the morning and ask them what happened?

After some minutes of chatter we determined their mistake, that their updated database confused my home address with my former employers work address which had a sales division on top of the studio division.
I could have easily not said anything. I could have easily just let it slide. It’s not every day 20k worth of universal audio lands on the door step.  However I couldn’t in good conscious.  Had it been something inexpensive I still would have made the call. It’s the right thing to do.

In the end universal audio and me sorted it out. While they wouldn’t let me just drop the stuff to the right place, we did ship it all back to universal and they gave me a free shirt. Best part was their shock that I called and made right. It’s sad they thought others would have not done that.

pucho812 said:
Years ago, i come home after a long studio day and find some 20k worth of universal audio boxes on my doorstep.

I called then the first thing in the morning and ask them what happened?

After some minutes of chatter we determined their mistake, that their updated database confused my home address with my former employers work address which had a sales division on top of the studio division.
I could have easily not said anything. I could have easily just  let it slide. It’s not every day 20k worth of universal audio lands on the door step.  However I couldn’t in good conscious.  Had it been something inexpensive I still would have made the call. It’s the right think to do.

In the end universal audio and me sorted it out. While they wouldn’t let me just drop the stuff to the right place, we did ship it all back to universal and they gave me a free shirt. Best part was their shock that I called and made right. It’s sad they thought others would have not done that.
good karma is always a smart investment.

JR

Latest posts

Back