Shopping list for the latest Melcor 1731

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consul

Hello, all!

Well, in anticipation of receiving my first ordered PCBs, fallout's Melcor offering, I plan to make a trip tomorrow out to Moab, Utah, which, strangely enough, is the closest town with a decent electronics store.

I visited Peter Cornell's site, but it still has the old information about the Melcor, wherein he states that it has issues that hadn't been solved yet. I know this is no longer the case, but I still can't locate the complete shopping list I'll need when I head out tomorrow.

Can anyone here possibly provide the parts list? Fallout?

Thank you all very much for making this a great place to learn and ask questions. :thumb:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=44&start=0

Just scroll down until you see my schematic and pick them off it - there's not that many. There's a part's layout there too using the reference designators from my schematic instead of the part values. For me, it's just easier to build that way.

I think you can order all of these parts from Mouser. The shipping shouldn't be over $5 which is probably cheaper than the gas to drive to Moab, sad to say. :?

By the way, here's my final shopping list:

Code:
Solid State
-----------

4 x BC550
2 x BC560
1 x BD135/237
1 x BD136/238

3 x 1N4148

Resistors
---------

1 x 130K
1 x 91
2 x 39.2K
1 x 2K
1 x 5.6K
2 x 120
1 x 360
1 x 18K
2 x 8.2
2 x 10

Capacitors
----------

1 x 1000pf
2 x 10pf
2 x 0.1uf

Hope this is useful to others!

I visited Peter Cornell's site, but it still has the old information about the Melcor, wherein he states that it has issues that hadn't been solved yet.

Eh? :?:

Are you sure you did not go to the Jensen page?

Try here :

http://1176neve.tripod.com/1176/id17.html

Regards
Peter

Consul,

thanks for the partslist,
do we need special (more expensive) parts?
if so, which-ones are crucial to get the best out of it?

tdB

Excuse the newbie question - I was putting together my parts list for the melcor and have got what you've got Consul but was wondering...

what type of capacitors are needed for the 1000pf, 10pf and 0.1uf? Are they ceramics or tanatalums??

And the resistors - what wattage should they be and would metal film be overkill????

Cheers Tom

For the 1000pF I've used both polystyrene & ceramic with no discernable diff in sound. I was expecting a change, but nothing sounded different.

The 10pF I used ceramic, as with the 100nF. Try to use quality ceramics (COG or NPO as resommended by John Hardy).

1/4 watt resistors will work fine. I use metal 1% resistors as a matter of course these days, as they are very reasonably priced.

Regards
Peter

I knew thats what you were getting at Tony!

Thanks a lot Peter for the clarification...if there is no difference in sound between the polystyrene and ceramic 1000pf caps, what in theory would be a reason to choose one or the other.

Which would be more durable in this circuit - you know last for longer, be more stable?

Cheers Tom

As far as I remember, the ceramic dielectric has a very uneven freq responce. It also distorts at the higher frequencies.

Have a look at Steve Bench's dite for a better explanation.

http://members.aol.com/sbench102/caps.html

Peter

[quote author="TomWaterman"]Which would be more durable in this circuit - you know last for longer, be more stable?...[/quote]Again like Peter said, keep in mind that John Hardy uses the COG/NPO versions (as opposed to X7R and Z5U versions - DON"T USE THESE!) ceramics in his 990! So, if they're good enough for John... :green:

But some folks swear by polystyrenes. You can get those at Mouser.

Peter,

You still have the menu option on your main page showing the Melcor as being DOA, unless that means something else in the audio world. I finally went back and followed the link, and it showed a new page. Sorry for the confusion.

Well, hopefully this store in Moab carries a few of these things. If not, I guess Mouser is my best bet.

[quote author="TomWaterman"]Thanks a lot Peter and Flatpicker for the info!!

This place rocks!!

Cheers Tom[/quote]You are more than welcome, Tom! I sponge off this place so much, it's nice to know I can give a little back. :wink:

[quote author="FrankSL"]I cannot find 100nF NPO/COG on farnell catalog, is there a substitution?[/quote]As far as using COG/NPOs, I was referring to caps in the signal path. For the 0.1uF power supply de-coupling caps the X7Rs should be fine. Sorry for not clarifying that.

Oh, gee! Thanks for telling me that now! :razz:

I finally managed to find everything I needed at Mouser. One trick I found is to use synonym values in your search, ie, look for 100nf instead of .1uf. At least, I hope I have that right.

And I just realized I screwed that one up. I ordered a 100pf instead. Crap. I guess I can call Mouser tomorrow and see if I can straighten it out, since I put my order in late last night.

Oh well, the very first time can't go scot-free. I think that's a written rule somewhere :wink:

Hi,
Thanks for the info, I saw it was a supply filter cap and was thinking any cap should be fine but prefered to ask...
What is the technical difference between COG/NPO and other types. For what I know is a different dielectric material, but why does COG/NPO's are fine and the others not?
Thanks,
Frank

Latest posts

Back