Webster Electric WST-419 Mic Input

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ

GDIY Supporter
uh, 50/200 > single grid

hey don't get mad, i'm bumping my own  threads off the page also, so wtf, over?  :D

we have a twin coil, with one reverse wind pri, and then the shield, then the sec,

n2nat1.jpg

o9n8lu.jpg

o69xtv.jpg

9gybkn.jpg

11v4dol.jpg

9vl6dh.jpg

20z5qhk.jpg

2agnbio.jpg

1zp77mu.jpg

a nice little, cheap on evilbay mic input, i used one in a diy pre and it has great detail.

210T Rev  +210 Fwd = 420 Pri T #32,  3 Henries  D:1.099

Cu Foil Shield

Sec: 2,600 T x 2 = 5,200 T #44/45 ish,

Z Ratio:  30K/200 = 1:150, so 3 H times 150 = 450 H sec L.

Turns Ratio is Root 150 = 1:12.4

yes, and thanks Don!  wanna go climbing at Taquitz this weekend?  jus kiddin.

that was a WST-41, there might have been an extra number or two tacked on to that, barfed up label.

CJ said:
yes, and thanks Don!  wanna go climbing at Taquitz this weekend?  jus kiddin.

Well, it's snowing so the rock will be a bit slippery!

that was a WST-41, there might have been an extra number or two tacked on to that, barfed up label.

Yep, there's a missing number.  They're WST-419.  I used one in the front of my NY Dave one-bottle and it works pretty fine.

Cheers,
--
Don

Gus said:
CJ
Is 1314W 49 still made?

The only Websters I've had are the 419s, and Webster went out of business quite a while ago so I don't think there are any being made under that moniker now. 

Cheers,
--
Don

usually they have a few sq stacks laying around of every lam in their catalog, but if you want more,

there might be a set up fee for the die.

we get the leftovers from the big OEM runs.

shabtek said:
Don,

Gus is referring to the lams, see Mag Metals data sheet

sincerely,
Jer

Thanks!  I thought I was missing something when I replied but a series of 14-hour days has left me a bit . . . ah . . . tracking left of center.

Cheers,
--
Don

I have a Webster WST 419. Unfortunately, I only know enough about electronics to be dangerous so I'd appreciate some advice. I am hoping to use the 419 as a Hi-Z to low -Z adapter (like a "direct box" for guitar (unbalanced hi-z to balanced XLR low Z). The schematic on the 419 shows primary pins numbered 4.5.6.7. (I assume that is the input but I don't know what pins to connect to) The secondary side pins are numbered  3,2,1 and I assume that is the output.
Any advice for using this in a direct box type application would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
JayZ

jayz said:
I have a Webster WST 419. Unfortunately, I only know enough about electronics to be dangerous so I'd appreciate some advice. I am hoping to use the 419 as a Hi-Z to low -Z adapter (like a "direct box" for guitar (unbalanced hi-z to balanced XLR low Z). The schematic on the 419 shows primary pins numbered 4.5.6.7. (I assume that is the input but I don't know what pins to connect to) The secondary side pins are numbered  3,2,1 and I assume that is the output.
Any advice for using this in a direct box type application would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
JayZ

From CJs pics it looks like two windings on the primary.  Whatever numbers the two inside winding legs are (maybe 5 & 6 but until you post a clear pic it's just a guess)  tie those together and take your signal from the outside ones. 

The secondary on CJs pic looks like a typical secondary with two legs.  The 3rd number you mention may be the shield. 

For DI box you use it in reverse.  Instrument to secondary, primary to next device.

Thanks for the reply lassoharp. I thought that the a "balanced output" would be on the secondary. I've attached a pic of my WST 419 and I'd appreciate you confirming your advice.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• WST 419.jpg
    WST 419.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 17
Ok.  Pics helped out.  You want to tie 4 & 6 together (CT) and take output signal from 5 & 7.

1 is shield.  Tie to ground.

I thought that the a "balanced output" would be on the secondary.

You will be using the transformer in reverse for DI.  So the secondary (Hi Z side) is what you will be going in to with the instrument.  So secondary is now being used as the "primary".  The output will be from the primary (low Z side), so primary is now used as the secondary.  Hope that isn't too confusing.

Thanks again. That is clear. One more question if you don't mind - will the WST 419 accept a line level input such as an amplifier output tapped in across speaker terminals? If so, what might tbe the maximum RMS watts?
Or is it only good for a low level input from an instrument (guitar, electronic keyboard, etc) or pre-amp level signal?

jayz said:
Thanks again. That is clear. One more question if you don't mind - will the WST 419 accept a line level input such as an amplifier output tapped in across speaker terminals? If so, what might tbe the maximum RMS watts?
Or is it only good for a low level input from an instrument (guitar, electronic keyboard, etc) or pre-amp level signal?

It will accept but it depends on what level that signal coming out of tapped output actually is.  Is amp 7W, 20W, 100W? The worst worry would be whatever the DI box is feeding, presumably a mic preamp.

Here are some basic numbers for a guide.  The transformer will step down voltage about 14 X.  So, whatever voltage  level is fed to the DI box drops down by 14X. 

Judging by size of transformer it's a small core and maybe rated for somewhere between -10db and +4dbm which isn't a great amount so it may saturate quickly with hot level.  That may be what you want so that may not matter unless the signal coming off of your tap is crazy hot.

What you can do is put a voltmeter on the output of the DI box and run your intended signal from the tap through the box and make a note of what readings you get.  They will be jumping around but you should be able to see what your peaks are.  This will give you an idea of whether the mic amp you will be feeding will be in constant overload. 

Again - quite helpful - thank you. I guess what it comes down to is my hope that I can use the WST 419 in a circuit similar to a Jensen JT-DB-E transformer(attached)

Attachments

• as008.pdf
    11.8 KB · Views: 11
It should work the same basic way as the Jensen box.  The WST will likely not have specs near as good as the Jensen iron in terms of headroom and freq response but the basic plan should allow you to do what you're trying to do.  The bass may distort easily with the WST.  With guitar it probably won't matter. 

If you are using smaller amps (and smaller levels, meaning clean vs heavy overdrive) you may need to adjust the shunt resistor R to get the levels you prefer.

I would also try connecting a 270 or 330ohm resistor across the WST secondary and compare what it sounds like with or without the resistor and just go with what sounds best.  Good luck.

Latest posts

Back