Studer 169 EQ in API 500 format

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Udo, I have not tried these transformers on this project (I am still building it) but in another project I have compared the Neutriks with Lundahl LL1540 and I have preferred the Lundahl ... but that's just my opinion and I don't want to convince anyone  :)

Fablab said:
Hello Udo, I have not tried these transformers on this project (I am still building it) but in another project I have compared the Neutriks with Lundahl LL1540 and I have preferred the Lundahl ... but that's just my opinion and I don't want to convince anyone  :)
No problem at all ;)

So if you haven't built them,why not give it a try,technically it should work with the primaries and secondaries in series each,should not be too far off from the Neutrik specs.
Seeing it from the financial side Lundahls are more expensive at least over here.
And the pcb is made for the ntl1 anyway so if you're going for 1540 you'll have to mount it a different way somehow I guess.
Personally I have done three so far and wouldn't change it,fits like a glove mechanically and sonically.

Tell us what you end up with,

best regards and happy trials,

Udo.

Udo, have you tried the difference with NE5534 and opamp?
I'd like to try with an output transformer, too
Best regards

Fablab said:
Udo, have you tried the difference with NE5534 and opamp?
I'd like to try with an output transformer, too
Best regards
No,but from what I remember  the results with non-transformer units seem to have been very good too.I think there were some audio samples flying around here?
The only trials I did on my first one was altering the caps for different frequencies,I ended up in using the suggested parts as per bom,fitted my needs best by far.If I want to do something different I can choose from a bunch of other eqs (lucky me).

Best,

Udo.

I've had a hard time lining up my bank account with the times that Audio Maintenance has the 10k Lin pot in stock.  I couldn't help but notice that Classic API has these Bourns pots of the same value, with a center detent.  Has anyone tried these on the PCBs, from PCBGrinder?  I'd like to get this project done, and Omeg is apparently not making enough to keep up with demand, if Audio Maintenance is having such a hard time keeping them in stock.

Any other proven alternative would also be welcomed.

glenn

dissonantdissident said:
I've had a hard time lining up my bank account with the times that Audio Maintenance has the 10k Lin pot in stock.  I couldn't help but notice that Classic API has these Bourns pots of the same value, with a center detent.  Has anyone tried these on the PCBs, from PCBGrinder?  I'd like to get this project done, and Omeg is apparently not making enough to keep up with demand, if Audio Maintenance is having such a hard time keeping them in stock.

Any other proven alternative would also be welcomed.

glenn
Hi Glenn,

maybe they don't fit the pcb holes,but you can wire them off board of course.Don't have my modules here to compare (I do have some single bourns types here).
Have you seen the pdf at the bottom of jeff's homepage?If not here it is:

http://www.classicapi.com/catalog/images/gallery/pots/25K-CCW-AT/Bourns-51-53.pdf

Just measure and compare to the specs and you'll see how to mount them.
Seeing it from the quality and feel-side I must say they're excellent pots!Have a lot of them implemented in my summing/mixer project,highly recommended.And they're conductive plastic so from an electronics view perfect.

Best,

Udo.

I finished mine a couple of weeks ago. They don't look pretty on the inside but I learned a whole lot from how analog eqs work, how to source parts to designing my own faceplate. I'm going to add some DOAs soon.

studer-eq-api-500-fertig.jpg

eq-im-api-500-format-selbst-gebaut.jpg

[/quote]
Hi Glenn,

maybe they don't fit the pcb holes,but you can wire them off board of course.Don't have my modules here to compare (I do have some single bourns types here).
Have you seen the pdf at the bottom of jeff's homepage?If not here it is:

http://www.classicapi.com/catalog/images/gallery/pots/25K-CCW-AT/Bourns-51-53.pdf

Just measure and compare to the specs and you'll see how to mount them.
Seeing it from the quality and feel-side I must say they're excellent pots!Have a lot of them implemented in my summing/mixer project,highly recommended.And they're conductive plastic so from an electronics view perfect.

Best,

Udo.
[/quote]

Thanks, Udo!  I'm looking at the Classic API site and their picture of the pot has two rows of two leads, apiece(like the gain pot on the vp25/26 preamps).  The data sheet is showing a smaller pot with a single row of three leads, and it doesn't give mechanical info, for the various different pots.  I know it would be conjecture, but I'm guessing that the 10k pots from CAPI are the ones on CAPI's website.  If it is the two rows of two leads per row, then it seems I could just mount them on the panel and run some short wires, to the pads, if necessary.  Does that seem right to other folks?

glenn

Glenn,

you should read the pdf.All(!) mechanical info is there on pages 2 & 3.
The mentioned "second row" is nothing but a mounting bracket.
It can be easily removed,I did it with all my pots here.

Udo.

goetzmd said:
I finished mine a couple of weeks ago. They don't look pretty on the inside but I learned a whole lot from how analog eqs work, how to source parts to designing my own faceplate. I'm going to add some DOAs soon.

hi can you give details regarding designing the face plate and where you had them done?

Also where the switchable frequencies hard to do?

Thanks

Thanks

Hello, I'd like to know if it is possible to use a 6 pin toggle switch instead of the DPDT pushbutton

I have problem with my stereo of this Studer 169eq!

I made with Lorlin 1x12 switches instead potentiometer!

When I turn on EQ IN I get a attenuate sound ,but when I put it out in bypass my sound get increase!

That is little strange,cause I made 6 of this EQ's with potentiometers and never get attenuated sound!

Can this Lorlin switches cause that!?

Latest posts

Back