AKG D12 - losing bass

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tardishead

weird my trusty AKGD12 seems to have gradually lost bass -
it has loads of 200-500hz but not much 30-100hz. does not add weight to a drum track.
I have heard it is good to clean them - how do you do that and do you guys think its worth it. do dynamic elements gradually get worse in frequency response.
I used to love it but I dont at the moment

I feel the same here, i've got one since 20 years.
Is a way to disassemble it and check?
I'm not sure what can i destroy, if i pull up the grid..

I also have the same thing to the extent that it is unusable.

2 options:

1. I seem to remember Zebra50 said something about cleaning or realigning them in an old post.

2. The other option is that you can still buy a new replacement capsule from AKG, however its about EUR125, & they can`t take credit card payments. The credit card thing makes this expensive if your in a non euro country. The man to contact is Karl Peschel, who is extremely helpful, apart from not being able to take card payments.

Actually it wasn't me, but I vaguely recall the topic. I haven't worked on these microphones.

Was it at 'the other place'? I'm pretty sure it wasn't here because if it was it should have made it's way into the mic meta.

Thats strange I thought it was you Stuart. It may well have been the other place.

IIRC whoever wrote about it said that that if the mic receives a knock the diaphram can be shifted off centre which causes the voice coil to rub, reducing bass end. Apparently this can be re aligned. However when opening my D12 up it looks kind of fragile, with really fine wires etc which put me off tampering with it.

I`m not 100% sure this is exactly what was said, & if it was can`t vouch for its validity. So if you try it, & damage the mic further I`m not up for any law suits.

I really would like to get my D12 working because I`vehad a few things I would like to have used it on recntly

Mark Burnley and Kev I think knew something about this.

Essentially it's usually related to the diaphragm binding up on something, IIRC.

Sometimes you can do something about it, other times not, but it definitely involves miniature mechanics!

Keith

Back