[silent:arts]

Re: Bo Hansen DI layout
« Reply #1120 on: September 30, 2020, 02:50:08 PM »
Is CDIL a known brand, or no name? Their BC550 / BC560 work just fine in my V672X.

Whoops

« Reply #1121 on: September 30, 2020, 07:20:39 PM »
besides big retailers like Farnel, Mouser and Digikey, local electronic stores or small shops don't really describe the brand of transistors, they just organize it by part number.
Being the markings on the transistors so small sometimes it's hard or impossible to know the original brand of what you're buying.

Bo Hansen

« Reply #1122 on: October 01, 2020, 05:08:40 AM »
Whoops,

A little comment regarding that I always nag that you should only buy well-known and good transistor brands.

Of course there are some unmarked small signal transistor types that are perfectly ok, but today there are lots of fake transistors from China on the market.
It is usually absolute and difficult to get hold of types that are often fake.

Many times it is companies that sell spare parts for consumer electronics that buy these transistors as they do not get original types anymore, and of course there are lots to buy on eBay and similar internet markets.

I can take some of my own examples of poor experience of this.

Many of you probably think that I only deal with this DI box, but I design and build a lot of custom audio equipment with discrete transistor electronics such as microphones, preamps, equalizer and much more, so I buy a lot of BJT and JFET transistors for this reason.

I usually buy my favorite transistors in a thousand quantities because I select them in many different groups to be used for different purposes.
Fake types I have received instead of ordered originals are for example BC560C, 2SA970 and 2SJ74.
These was basically useless regarding max voltage, gain, NF and fT which is something completely different than it should be. 
Unfortunately, the appearance and logo can also be fake, as it should look like the original brand.

Sometimes it feels like some China sellers have a large bag with unmarked TO92 NPN and PNP where the transistor contains a universal "DIE" and where they then stamp the transistor type and brand that the customer wants.

So once again, be sure to buy well-known brands whether they are small signal or power transistors.

—Bo
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 07:12:01 AM by Bo Hansen »
I met a man with a dollar, we exchanged dollars, I still had a dollar.
I met a man with an idea, we exchanged ideas, now we each had two ideas.

Whoops

« Reply #1123 on: October 01, 2020, 07:53:28 AM »
I know what you're saying and completely agree.

I was just saying that small local stores don't tell you the brand of the transistors they are selling, although they might be from a good or well known brand. I trust my local stores as the stock they have is NOS,it was stock ordered long before the Chinese fake transistors invading the market
Even Banzai that is an online store doesn't show you the brand of the transistors they're selling, and I buy there for many years and the products have always a good quality.
So yes, a lot of stores don't tell you the brand, they just don't find it's relevant

And sometimes by the marking in the transistor you might also have no information about the brand.

Farnel, Digikey and Mouser tell you the brand.
Ebay trasistors is something I avoid as it's full of fakes.

You can have a rough idea if a transistor is fake or not by measuring it, normally fake chinese have a lower hfe, and for a C type you should be expecting and HFE above 420. Even then it's just a rough way. As nothing guarantees 100% that a fake will not have an higher hfe value

« Reply #1124 on: October 06, 2020, 04:51:17 PM »
Want to thank you for this project, Bo! I'm working with some friends I've known since childhood covering random rock songs we loved (and still love) for fun during this pandemic to pass time. We're over a 1000 miles from each other so everyone is recording remotely. My friend's bass sounded so nasally the first time we did it that I built one of these DI's and send it to him for our next cover (Moody Blues - Ride my see-saw). So much easier to mix his bass and it's a great gift idea for a musician.

Stay well,
Ryan

Bo Hansen

« Reply #1125 on: October 07, 2020, 03:36:24 AM »
Thank you Ryan, very nice to hear that you like my DI-box design, and that you managed to get the bass sound when you do long distance tracking.

Btw, you mention the Moody Blues.
In 1973, AUDEX from Gothenburg Sweden, an amplifier factory I was part of, delivered two modified Audex TR102 amplifiers to Mike Pander, which he used for his Mellotron under his Europe tour during this time.

--Bo
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 03:16:44 PM by Bo Hansen »

« Reply #1126 on: October 07, 2020, 02:45:57 PM »
Thank you Ryan, very nice to hear that you like my DI-box design, and that you managed to get the bass sound when you do long distance tracking.

Btw, you mention the Moody Blues.
In 1973, AUDEX from Gothenburg Sweden, an amplifier factory I was part of, delivered two modified Audex TR100 amplifiers to Mike Pander, which he used for his Mellotron under his Europe tour during this time.

--Bo

That's amazing. Those appear hard to come by these days.

Bo Hansen

« Reply #1127 on: October 07, 2020, 03:34:11 PM »
Ryan,

If you mean the Audex amp, TR102 A or B are often sold second-hand on the Swedish market, we manufactured several thousand of them.

It was available in A normal instrument or B Bass version, 100 watt in 4 or 8 ohms version.
The 4 band equalizer was Audex's special feature, a completely own design, no "tonestack or Baxandall" but a smart solution well adapted to musical instruments.

This is a powerful and clean solid-state amp, a reliable workhorse.

--Bo
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 03:55:19 PM by Bo Hansen »

Bo Hansen

« Reply #1128 on: October 08, 2020, 06:03:35 AM »
Have you seen this fantastic creation that includes our DI-Box circuit board.

Here is a link to a Facebook post about this iron DI-Box:
https://m.facebook.com/groups/517919938413134?view=permalink&id=1385851958286590&fs=2&focus_composer=0

--Bo
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 06:07:17 AM by Bo Hansen »

Whoops

« Reply #1129 on: October 08, 2020, 06:24:34 AM »
That looks brilliant

:)

Ricardus

« Reply #1130 on: October 08, 2020, 06:58:04 PM »
Should we tell him?   :)
Audio mastering for hire..

« Reply #1131 on: October 14, 2020, 12:53:20 AM »
Hi I am looking for either the gerber files or a place where I can purchase the PCBs from. I live in Australia so the Gerber files might be the better way to go so I can get the PCB's made locally
Regards
Bill2000

Bo Hansen's DI page:
http://www.hansenaudio.se/techpage.htm#active%20DI-box,%20my%20work%20horse%20from%201975
and the schematic is here: http://www.hansenaudio.se/Active%20DI%20box%201975.jpg

Boards available here:
From June 2015, Volker is the new supplier of PCBs.
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=39570.msg488632#msg488632

Shopping list:
US: http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=12eddc2712
http://benlindell.com/diy/Bo-Hansen-DI-BOM.pdf (made by benlindell)

EU: http://www.mentol.dk/diy/bohansen/BOM - Diyfanatic - bo DI.xlsx (made by diyfanatic)

Help:
TRANSISTOR CHOICE
HAUFE TRAFO BUY
MAKING PAD MOD

Self-etching papers:
http://www.mentol.dk/diy/bohansen/bohansen.pdf
http://www.mentol.dk/diy/bohansen/silkscreen.pdf

Cheers
Soren

Bo Hansen

« Reply #1132 on: October 14, 2020, 04:28:10 AM »
Bill2000,

This circuit board has been available in two versions, the first version was made by a forum member in Denmark who also distributed and sold this PCB, but from 2015 we made an updated PCB layout that Volker Meyer/51xAudio in Berlin took over manufacturing and distribution/sales.

The original Gerber files for these PCB layouts belong to the one who has paid for PCB manufacturing and arranges the distribution of these PCBs all over the world, so I can not publish this Gerber file on my help page for this DIY DI-Box.  www.hansenaudio.se/techpage.htm

But there are good pictures of both versions on my help page, so if you want to make your own circuit boards, you can use these as a model for your own circuit board layout.

I do not know if you intend to make circuit boards only for your own use or or in larger numbers to resell.
Please read the rules for using my DI-Box design which can be find at the top of my help page for this DI-Box.

--Bo
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 04:42:00 AM by Bo Hansen »

Whoops

« Reply #1133 on: October 14, 2020, 08:19:52 PM »
Hi I am looking for either the gerber files or a place where I can purchase the PCBs from.

The first post in this thread, actually the one you quoted in your post it's pretty clear where you can buy the PCBs from...