Bo Hansen DI layout

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, I got the last part I was waiting on put in and finished my first one up. I got the Haufe Transformer in this one and an OEP one on the way. Here's some pics and I'm gonna take some bass samples of it and compare it to other DIs too.

I made mine without isolated guitar jacks and it's totally noiseless!! I think it sounds great too.

Bo-DI1.jpg

Bo-DI2.jpg

Bo-DI3.jpg

Bo-DI4.jpg

Some Sound Clips, I'll update these with more later:
http://www.benlindell.com/diy/Bo-DI/Bass-002.wav - Straight into my 002
http://www.benlindell.com/diy/Bo-DI/Bass-Redeye.wav - Little Labs Redeye
http://www.benlindell.com/diy/Bo-DI/Bass-Bo-Haufe.wav - Bo Hansen's DI with Huafe Transformer

These are my 5 string Lakland on the bridge pickup and no eq.

Very nice definitely adds it own colour and "thickness" of the higher notes, nice build too!

"I made mine without isolated guitar jacks and it's totally noiseless!!"

I noticed that you didn't ground the "chassis" pad on the pcb to the chassis, maybe avoiding the potential ground loop between it and your phone jack grounds?  Nice build, is that a hammond enclosure?  I dig it.

ben

Yeah it's a 125b size that i jb welded the screws and standoffs inside. Got it from pedalpartsplus.com for like $8.

I'm not sure why there's no ground issues but i like it. I'll finish my oep one tomorrow and post more sound clips

Guys

As I have said many times before, this DI box has no ground lift switch.
Instead, it has a circuit that automatically protects from ground loops when the DI-box is connected together with guitar amplifiers/mains connected pedals and in same time connected to a mixing console or preamp.
(and all equipment also are connected to mains saftey ground/earth)

If this ground system shall work properly, the jacks must be isolated from the metal box, and the box shall be grounded in the pc-card "chassis" point.
(use plastic jacks, brands as Cliff Plastic or Rean)

If you do that, the ground system are very safe in all situations.

Of course, if you never will use the DI-box togheter with guitar amps or mains connected pedals, the metal jacks are ok, and you have no problems with ground-loops, buzz or noise, because in this case it is only the console or preamp that is connected to the mains saftey ground/earth, and there are no ground-loops to deal with.

--Bo

I finished two more today with a nice red satin casing. I ordered some nylon washers to isolate but in testing at home I haven't had any ground problems with normal jacks, but I take it there is a safety issue so I'll put the nylon in there once they get here.

I also posted up 5 comparisons using my DSI Tetra to get some top and bottom going through these. Much easier to notice the differences. http://blog.benlindell.com/?p=287

The only time that you might experience problems with using non-insulated jacks is when you're using the DI with a mains-powered pedal and/or amp.  You'd want to connect that chassis ground point all the same, but that's what Bo's been driving at, if I may be so bold: the insulated jacks are necessary for the circuits' ground isolation scheme to work as it's designed to do.  So, if you didn't do it, took it to a live show where there's some potential for ground loops, and plugged it in, you might have a hum-filled night.  If you're using it to DI instruments in the studio straight into a mic preamp without running back out into an amp . . . no worries.

Hey Bo, just an update, got the new parts and fitted them(I replaced all of the resistors, capacitors and the two jacks) and I'm getting no buzz now.

Ordered another case and parts so I could make another DI. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Jeid,

Nice to hear that everything works as it should do now.

Benlindell and other

It is not necessary to use shielded cable between PC card and connectors.
Use normal thin "hook-up" wire that can be twisted in pairs.

--Bo

Hey guys does anyone have sound samples of the Haufe ST-8456 and the Lundahl LL-1538 like Ben did.  From Ben's audio files I like the Haufe but I would love to hear the difference between those and the lundahls before I decide.

BTW, Ben thanks for the files.  It sold me on the project.  I liked the sound of this build better then the other DI's you compared to. 

Thanks

I was under the impression they just had mains toroids, but they have signal transformers as well, pretty expensive though (like all of their stuff)!
No experience with signal or output transformers from them (mains however....).

80 euros for a 20dBm transformer that costs 14USD at Edcor? Hmmmmm..

Whats difference between the OEP A262A3E and the A262A3C? I looked at P-towns website and the version "C" is the only one he stocks. I cant seem to find a data sheet for the "C".

Yes, it is a canned version.
See this link:
http://www.oep.co.uk/products_listing.php?page=2&cat=6&subcat=22&subsubcat=47

I have not tried, but hope that there is space for it on the PC-Card.

BTW, I have updated my DIY page with more tips and information on the DI-box construction.  www.hansenaudio.se/techpage.htm

--Bo

Bo Hansén said:
Yes, it is a canned version.
See this link:
http://www.oep.co.uk/products_listing.php?page=2&cat=6&subcat=22&subsubcat=47

I have not tried, but hope that there is space for it on the PC-Card.

BTW, I have updated my DIY page with more tips and information on the DI-box construction.  www.hansenaudio.se/techpage

--Bo

Thanks for the link Bo. I guess when the PC boards arrive Ill check the data sheet dimensions against the transformer footprint. Has anyone put the canned OEP in a 125B enclosure?

Bo,

Thanks for the great project! The DI sounds fantastic! I went with the Lundahl LL1538 and I'm very, very pleased with the out come.
The only thing I messed up was the size of the enclosure, so I have to order something a bit bigger tomorrow ;D I just did a quick a/b with my Countryman and while both sounded great, the 1975 workhorse sat nicer in the mix, and had a nice round sound to it.

Extra special thanks to bdubya for suggesting the project to me too!

Thanks,

Arthur

Hey, I'm ordering parts based on benlindell's BOM, and it seems the .1uf capacitor (505-MKS2.1/63/10) is on backorder at Mouser.  
I'm fairly new to the whole DI game so forgive the stupid question, but is there an alternative capacitor I could order from Mouser?

Latest posts

Back