PIO caps?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about NOS JAN PIO's from surplus stores?  I've been very pleased with the sound of most applications I've used them in esp the important signal caps.  It can take some time, but I've found NOS Vitamin Q's(overhyped but good), other Sprague PIO's, Sangamo, Westcap and various noname caps with their JAN#'s in most every value I've needed.  It took awhile 2 find the 10uF/400v PIO's for my D-LA2A but it was well worth it.

ihscoutlvr74 said:
What about NOS JAN PIO's from surplus stores?  I've been very pleased with the sound of most applications I've used them in esp the important signal caps.  It can take some time, but I've found NOS Vitamin Q's(overhyped but good), other Sprague PIO's, Sangamo, Westcap and various noname caps with their JAN#'s in most every value I've needed.  It took awhile 2 find the 10uF/400v PIO's for my D-LA2A but it was well worth it.

I think, in my research, I have come across less negative feedback of the Russian PIOs than the US PIOs.
Really it comes down to source in order to experiment: is there somewhere that has a steady supply?

Cheers for the input!

;D
As a russian, I do have a bag of russian pio caps. I even made a G9 with switchable pio/poly cap on the output, the pio cap does seem to sound a little smoother.
I think there's also different grades to russian pio caps, then there's similar looking tub style polyethilentereftalate(?), aka PETP, supposedly not bad for audio either, then there's russian teflon caps, supposed to be beyond anything you ever heard..
Anyhow, stitch-o, pm me with what kinda cap you were looking for, maybe I just send you one for christmas.

jackies said:
;D
As a russian, I do have a bag of russian pio caps. I even made a G9 with switchable pio/poly cap on the output, the pio cap does seem to sound a little smoother.
I think there's also different grades to russian pio caps, then there's similar looking tub style polyethilentereftalate(?), aka PETP, supposedly not bad for audio either, then there's russian teflon caps, supposed to be beyond anything you ever heard..
Anyhow, stitch-o, pm me with what kinda cap you were looking for, maybe I just send you one for christmas.

WHOOOOOAAAA  MAMA!

Cheers!!

stitch-o said:
drpat said:
The newer pio caps that I tried (audionote, jensen, etc.) all sounded faster and more detailed than the older ones. Sometimes you'll want that, and sometimes you won't. I've done a lot of experimenting with those old Russian PIO caps, and wouldn't hesitate to use them on the Pultec circuit that you're planning to build. Especially the green ones on the low boost bands. ;)

Thank you, Dr Pat.
I have been fishing for just such an informed opinion!

After spending much of yesterday researching the subject,
I have concluded that CCCP PIO caps are (more than likely)

If you want check different caps in a low boost circuit, go here:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=11342

It's not the exact pultec low boost circuit but the principle is roughly the same.  It takes about 5 minutes to throw together on a board and makes A/B testing quick, clear, and easy.  You could go one step further and build just the pultec low boost section though it takes more time.  Either way they're both peaking curves that will give you the info you need.(and it's a lot more fun than wading through a maze of literature and specs) 
a great deal and will be very welcome in my Pultecs.

If you want check different caps in a low boost circuit, go here:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=11342

It's not the exact pultec low boost circuit but the principle is roughly the same.  It takes about 5 minutes to throw together on a board and makes A/B testing quick, clear, and easy.  You could go one step further and build just the pultec low boost section though it takes more time.  Either way they're both peaking curves that will give you the info you need.(and it's a lot more fun than wading through a maze of literature and specs) 

Jackies, have you bought any of these caps while stateside? Ideally we could find a reputable russian (or rather, ex-ussr) dealer who would be willing to group stuff together. Sent msgs to a few ebay sellers but no reply...

Stitch, maybe you want to go in on some and split shipping?

No, not stateside.. The soviet caps are plenty anywhere in the ex-USSR though. I'm overseas myself at the moment, so I might look around for smaller value pios, I only have some larger values for like, output caps...

"very promising"

. . promising to sock it to your wallet.

These appear to be mostly big >1uF coupling caps - none of (except the 1.5uF) which you'll see in the Pultec.

I saw none lower than 1uF or 300V.

Latest posts

Back