Hairball FET (1176 Style) compressor enclosure hints and tips

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt C said:
reviving an old thread here for a question about the Hairball 1176 enclosure/kit.  I'm having a tough time sorting out exactly how the zero set 2k pot is supposed to be mounted on the front panel (doesn't seem possible to set the pot at a proper distance from the front panel hole).  Is there any trick to doing this using the provided hardware, or is it just a matter of going down to the hardware store and getting a handful of thin washers to tweak the spacing? 

anyone have a closeup picture of how theirs is mounted?  my enclosure is newer and has the longer (1/2"?) zero mount standoffs, so the information in mnats' first post in this thread doesn't really apply anymore.

Check the first post in this thread.  If you can get another 3/8" shaft nut you can use a nut on either side of the bracket to dial in the distance.

Mike

Apologies if I'm missing the obvious here, but should I be drilling an additional hole for the little tab on the alpha attack and release pots? 

I was thinking I could just put in a spacer sitting flush with the tab on the back panel and tighten the nut on the front side so that the pot sits perfectly perpendicular to the panel, however If I do that there isn't enough thread to tighten the nut on the other side.  How is everyone else doing this?  I look at pictures online and some look flush to the back panel with no spacer (i.e. it looks like they drilled a seperate hole for the tab) and others look like there wasn't another hole drilled, but yet still sit perpendicular to the panel (although I haven't seen any pictures of these ones where I can see if they used a spacer or not).

My question assumes that the #010 O-Ring suggestion only solves the problem about centering the pot, not my problem where it isn't perfectly perpendicular...  feel free to correct me on that.  I'm going to go get the o-rings anyway...

Thanks,
Aaron

Bhudie said:
Apologies if I'm missing the obvious here, but should I be drilling an additional hole for the little tab on the alpha attack and release pots? 

I was thinking I could just put in a spacer sitting flush with the tab on the back panel and tighten the nut on the front side so that the pot sits perfectly perpendicular to the panel, however If I do that there isn't enough thread to tighten the nut on the other side.  How is everyone else doing this?  I look at pictures online and some look flush to the back panel with no spacer (i.e. it looks like they drilled a seperate hole for the tab) and others look like there wasn't another hole drilled, but yet still sit perpendicular to the panel (although I haven't seen any pictures of these ones where I can see if they used a spacer or not).

My question assumes that the #010 O-Ring suggestion only solves the problem about centering the pot, not my problem where it isn't perfectly perpendicular...  feel free to correct me on that.  I'm going to go get the o-rings anyway...

Thanks,
Aaron

I think 99.9% of people are just clipping off the tabs.  That's what I do. 

Mike

Latest posts

Back