Altran transformers?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys.

Does anyone know if Altran makes a clean (-ish) 1:8, mic input?

I would like to use the Altran EA-2622 for close micing purposes and was wondering if they also make 'less colored' a 1:8 mic transformer that would be appropriate in distant micing applications.

I see the Altran C-3402-2, is this all they have?

How does the C-3402-2 compare/contrast with the Altran manufactured EA-2622?

I've read that Ed A. thinks the C-3402-2 is 'less shiny' (?) than the Cinemag CMMI-8-PCA and Jensen JT-110K-HCA electrical equilavents.

Do any of you feel that the Altran C-3402-2 (or Altran # ?) would work for distant recording (room, overhead, acoustic instruments, etc...) or are the Altran parts 'too colored' for these situations? Hopefully they have a model that is 'colored' in the right way for clean stuff.

I've also read that Altran has models that aren't listed as well and will talk to them directly but I would appreciate any guidance/insight you guys may have.

Regards,
Chris.

altran makes transformers for OEMs, not DIYers.  they are not like jensen or cinemag... they don't have a wide selection of stock parts.  they build their transformers to technical winding specs, not musical decriptions.  they are nice guys, but if you only want 2 of something, and all you have is a tonal description of what you want, it will be difficult for them to help you.

that said, the c-3402 is a nice part, used by hamptone and OSA in different designs.  altran designed it to be their version of a jensen, so it is on the cleaner end of the spectrum.  they make a bunch of them, so they can probably sell you just a few.

ed

Hi.

Thank you for your reply Mr. Anderson.

That is basically what I wanted to know.

I also know that they (like most companies of this nature) are technically oriented and any such aural hyperbole would be inappropriate thus my asking here.

Surely they will sell me 12 or so of the C-3402-2 transformers, won't they?

Again, thank you.

Chris

Latest posts

Back