Building amps... how come no pcbs or kits here?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGuitarist

Just wondering why there is a lack of amp building here. The schematics are out for alot but no PCBs or anything. Any reason for this?

(I assume you're talking about *guitar* amps)

The lack of PCB's is probably due to the fact everyone who does guitar amps knows better to wire them point to point.

Guitar amps need much more shock proofing than any amp, and p2p is the only way to go, with good turret scheme. Or a very sturdy PCB, but as far as I know any repair tech shuns them. They will break. But a well designed mechanically secured (solder + mechanical attachment) wiring is not only easy to repair, but will last a long time, if not forever.

I have not seen guitar amp PCB's for sale anywhere. But there are p2p kits. Some very high quality unique projects, like this one: http://uraltone.com/kauppa/product_info.php?info=p1413_UralTone-Jr-tube-amp-kit--version-2-5-.html&XTCsid=7c4409nr5tc7ripvgmsk7d1po3

Allows a ridiculous amount of tube choices and easy mods.

If your after diy guitar amp kits I can highly recommend www.ampmaker.com Great kits and really really nice guy.

I've built three of the 18watt model now and they sound f**king amazing! Two of them are in my avatar.

HTH
Dominic

I would suggest that if you were going to build a PCB tube guitar amp, you'll probably find that by the time you buy all the expesive transformers, tubes, speaker and cabinet, you've probably spent way more than the cost of an Ashton or Bugera cheap ass amp, not that I am promoting such an amp. And what you will end up with is something that may struggle to last 10 years with the heat that it will be subjected to and the problems you may have in servicing it, breaking pcb tracks/pads as you try to replace pots etc.

If you can, go down the line of Point-To-Point amps, which are so much easier to service, you can modify them to your hearts content and it will last a lifetime. Go PTP and there are lots of kits out there.

Michael

Latest posts

Back