taking gear overseas...a question about power transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regularjohn

If I take some of my diy gear across the pond to Europe, would it simply be a matter of rewiring the power transformer primary?

I guess what I'm asking is, do power transformers with dual primaries take into account the voltage loss going from 60Hz AC to 50Hz AC?  

Would I also need to change my fuse rating?

I have a couple pieces of gear (gssl and 2 channel 312 clone) I've built which have Amveco TE62063 and TE62065 respectively.  They both currently use a .5amp fuse.  Am I good to just rewire the primaries?  Or does the fuse need to change too?

Of course I'd have to buy a Euro IEC cable.

Thanks!

You need to change the fuse too.. it will be roughly half the current because the voltage is roughly double.

You need to check the spec for the transformer to see how much current it is rated for at 50 Hz,,, In general it takes about 15% more magnetic flux to pass the same average current at 50 Hz vs. 60 Hz.  If your transformer was conservatively oversized for 60 Hz operation you may be OK.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
You need to change the fuse too.. it will be roughly half the current because the voltage is roughly double.

You need to check the spec for the transformer to see how much current it is rated for at 50 Hz,,, In general it takes about 15% more magnetic flux to pass the same average current at 50 Hz vs. 60 Hz.  If your transformer was conservatively oversized for 60 Hz operation you may be OK.

JR
Thanks for the info, John.

Yeah, the Amveco TE62063 transformer is rated for 1.7 amps with parallel secondaries at 60Hz, and a gssl takes about 100mA max.  So it's WAAAY over powered for the job it's doing.  So it should be ok, right?

So then I should drop the fuse to 250mA?

pucho812 said:
wouldn't it make more sense to purchase a 240 to 120 power converter?

I think it's easier just to rewire two connections and change a fuse, instead of spending money on a voltage converter.

Back