SAM 82 mixer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi.

These mixers are special. I have 8 of these and 1 scrap  sam82 for spare parts.

What mod is the best direct out mod out there? And is there any one that changed the IC for the discrete options around?

Studiomotion said:
Hi.

These mixers are special. I have 8 of these and 1 scrap  sam82 for spare parts.

What mod is the best direct out mod out there? And is there any one that changed the IC for the discrete options around?

Would you be willing to sell the psu transformer or if not, the whole psu board for the one you have for scraps? Desperately looking for an original transformer for this (which is impossible to find since it was a custom job). I'm located in Sweden!

Hi everyone!

Does anyone recognize this fader? Make/brand? It's a direct replacement for the lower-ish quality 10K Waters faders (LM 4A-220, can't find any info online) originally used in the SAM82's. The photo is from one of my units.

thing is, I'm fixing up my two SAM82's and really want to replace all of the originals.

gHHKfaNl.jpg

aabbcc said:
Would you be willing to sell the psu transformer or if not, the whole psu board for the one you have for scraps? Desperately looking for an original transformer for this (which is impossible to find since it was a custom job). I'm located in Sweden!

Hey!

I have a spare PSU unit, but I would recommend sourcing a replacement power transformer. The original Lundahl transformer vibrate quite a lot... I guess because of age. Excessive current draw (from leaky caps etc) is/was not the problem with my units, or any of the others I've repaired.

Conviction said:
Hi everyone!

Does anyone recognize this fader? Make/brand? It's a direct replacement for the lower-ish quality 10K Waters faders (LM 4A-220, can't find any info online) originally used in the SAM82's. The photo is from one of my units.

thing is, I'm fixing up my two SAM82's and really want to replace all of the originals.

gHHKfaNl.jpg

I'll look into the fader foot print. There ought to be a match out there. A standard ALPS fader would be way better than the original Waters' (that might or might not have been OK when new, they're horrible now).

Still interested in finding out the make/brand pictured in my post.

It's a cute little mixer,
never heard about it before.

Seems like the Swedish version of the Alice 828 (UK), layout arrangement is the same, also directed to the same market.

Whoops said:
It's a cute little mixer,
never heard about it before.

Seems like the Swedish version of the Alice 828 (UK), layout arrangement is the same, also directed to the same market.

It's a great mixer, really! Sounds very, very nice.

The SAM82 was designed by SATT (Svenska Aktiebolaget Trådlöst Telegrafi - a division of AEG/Telefunken) for the Swedish Radio and Television. Used by many a engineers, among them Gert Palmcrantz who made some brilliant jazz- and classical recordings on the SAM82. Sold commercially too, but I don't think that many units made it elsewhere.

I can't help but think the Alice 828 looks a lot cheaper? The layout resembles those old Studiomaster desks, but with the added luxury of transformers? The BBC must have modified it/upgraded it? Am I fooled by the looks?

SAM82 was a pricy product. The only downside I can think of is the faders, but they were probably fine when new. Waters MFG (Maryland?) is/was unknown to me, not sure why the SATT designers chose them in favor of Bourns or any other renowned manufacturer.

Attachments

• sam82-guts.jpg
    sam82-guts.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 69
Yes probably the Alice 828, was more affordable but I don't really know the price when new,  it seems to be earlier also. The 828 was UK made and had Belclere or Sowter transformers at the input, and the first version had a simple discreet mic pre circuit. EQ in every channel.
And a Limiter in the master.

Was used a lot in used Radio stations. Like the SAM 82 it also had provision for battery operation for location works.

Looks nice the SAM82, pretty tidy circuit and layout

Hi all, hope you are well in these crazy times!
I've been thinking about a easy direct out mod. What if I put a switch pre fader (basicly at the optional insert point) that sends the signal to the fader or to a standard line balancing transformer. In this senario the preamp only have to drive one input stage and not two in paralell.
Is there any potential problems with this solution?

Attachments

• IMG_4294.JPG
    IMG_4294.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
I'll look into the fader foot print. There ought to be a match out there. A standard ALPS fader would be way better than the original Waters' (that might or might not have been OK when new, they're horrible now).

Still interested in finding out the make/brand pictured in my post.
Reviving this older thread to ask if you ever found a match for the fader replacement?

Hi、I have a Satt Sam82, from Japan, it using for small recording and PA.
I like this sound, but feel so old fashioned.
So, I exchanged OP-amps 709 to opa604, HA-4741 to LME49740.
Then it became a modern sound while making use of the original.
However, the pattern is easy to peel off, so be careful with the resolder.

I generally discourage op amp upgrades but these mixers are old enough that the op amps originally used (like 709s) are inferior to modern stuff. Almost any modern chip set could be an improvement, my only concern is don't overload the PS with high current uber op amps.

JR

So everyone is saying these are a great little mixer, sound good, so why would you change the opamps?
If it sounds good, forget the opamp labels, and use it to make music!

Objectively (the world I choose to operate in) upgrading these very old op amps could make a measurable and audible improvement.

I discourage most mindless hot rodding attempts but this one could actually bear some fruit.

Of course if you are happy with the sound, there is nothing to fix but then why are we even talking about this?

JR

Something of a BUMP here...my tech is taking possession of my Satt Sam 82 for a general health check (there are some minor noise issues, and the PSU is doing its well documented hum thing) so I wanted to find out if any people with possible real world experience of them could chime in with any areas/flaws of the stock mixer where it has worked well for them to address/change/upgrade?

Something of a BUMP here...my tech is taking possession of my Satt Sam 82 for a general health check (there are some minor noise issues, and the PSU is doing its well documented hum thing) so I wanted to find out if any people with possible real world experience of them could chime in with any areas/flaws of the stock mixer where it has worked well for them to address/change/upgrade?
Don´t bother with the loud humming PSU-transformer. As long as the internal phantom power DC-conversion works, just rip it out and wire a +/-15 VDC external PSU. This NOS Kniel linear PSU delivers clean power @ 2x 500mA and works as a charm.

Attachments

• Kniel PSU connection.jpg
    Kniel PSU connection.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 3
Don´t bother with the loud humming PSU-transformer. As long as the internal phantom power DC-conversion works, just rip it out and wire a +/-15 VDC external PSU. This NOS Kniel linear PSU delivers clean power @ 2x 500mA and works as a charm.
Ah thanks thats really interesting
I have to ask then, further to that, is there anything else you saw fit to address with the mixer - do I see 1/4" direct outs?

Ah thanks thats really interesting
I have to ask then, further to that, is there anything else you saw fit to address with the mixer - do I see 1/4" direct outs?
Those mini-jacks are originally not for directs out, I think this is a custom broadcast option for light signalling and fader starts.
I may rip these out and re-use the mini jacks for 8 x unbalanced direct outputs.

Hi everyone!

gHHKfaNl.jpg
did you have any luck figuring out the type? does anyone know where to source any compatible faders? all the 8 plastic faders in mine are gone and would be really nice to get it up and running. anyt tips would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back