Longer Attack-Times for Gyraf 1176

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okaaay ... it´s really that easy ?

I was not sure if this is maybe changing other things, too.

I´ll try it and will report.

Thanks a lot Gyraf !!!

I will try this also.

I finished my Gyraf 1176, and although its a usefull compressor it doens't sound anything comprared to the 1176 in terms of caracteristic.

We have some different revisions of originals 1176 in the studio, and although they all sounbd slightly different , they have the same caracteristic (what they do to the transients)  , you can see they are from the same familly,
unfortunatly that doensn't happen with my Gyraf 1176.

Maybe having longer attack times could help, dont know

No - the G1176 should have very much the same characteristics at an average 1176-family member. You may want to re-check your build - attack time has nothing to do with it. The proto unit sounds very much like our four original rev#F's.

Jakob E.

Hi Jakob,
thanks a lot for your input.

I already re-checked the circuit, and can't find anything wrong.

What I feel it's different it's the way it compresses the transients, and the punch that normally 1176 give to the drum sounds (slow attack , fast release)

I used the input with Opamp, and the output with the OEP transformer,
could that have something to do with it?

thanks

Tiago

Whoops said:
Hi Jakob,
thanks a lot for your input.

I already re-checked the circuit, and can't find anything wrong.

What I feel it's different it's the way it compresses the transients, and the punch that normally 1176 give to the drum sounds (slow attack , fast release)

I used the input with Opamp, and the output with the OEP transformer,
could that have something to do with it?

thanks

Tiago

Isnt that an mnats version then? The Gyraf boards only had the option of dropping in the lundahl.

Ive only heard the difference between lundahls and OEPs in the G9. I think it was a pretty big difference.

Gustav

yes it's one of the Mnats boards.

I will swap the OEP for a Lundhal ,
although I don't feel the difference is in the Tone or flavour, it's really in the compression characteristic, so I don't feel that it can relate to the output transformer.
maybe I'm wrong

Why not use the Ed Anderson designed trafos from Hairball Audio.  They're recreations of the real 1176 transformers, and they're not that expensive.  That's what I used in my 1176 clones, and they sound spot on.  I actually had my Rev A clone put up against a real Rev A and the only difference was a better noise floor on my clone.

I've built a dual Rev G as well, and it sounds perfectly like an 1176.  Are you sure you didn't make any mistakes in construction?  Did you calibrate it properly?

regularjohn said:
I've built a dual Rev G as well, and it sounds perfectly like an 1176.  Are you sure you didn't make any mistakes in construction?  Did you calibrate it properly?

as I said, I can't find any mistakes, I revised it over and over. But I can't be sure off course.

a friend of mine calibrated it, and he already calibrated all of his 1176 , RevA, Rev D and RevF and all sound wonderful.

Whoops said:
yes it's one of the Mnats boards.

I will swap the OEP for a Lundhal ,
although I don't feel the difference is in the Tone or flavour, it's really in the compression characteristic, so I don't feel that it can relate to the output transformer.
maybe I'm wrong

Tonal differences aside, I think the transients are more dull with the OEP trafo than a lundahl, so I think it would be worth a shot.

If you dont like it after that, you can send it to me.

Gustav

Latest posts

Back