Just bought 2 diy tube mic kits, i´m gonna switch some components and need help

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  How would you put in a multi pattern switch mod into the unit? Is it possible to mod the breakout box, or is purchasing a new box a better solution?

tap from the b+? look up the mk7 for reference.

normal_MK7_generic_psu_mod.JPG

ok almost done just need testing!

painting take time, 3 passes now I think 2 more will be good and 1 pass of protectiv gloss.
the mic look white bright but it's cause of the camera flash...it's white creaaaaam!

bag came from a whisky bottle...nice leather!! ::)
tube is 12at7wa trc (mullard) nos
electrolytic Jamco, I had an Elna Silmic II for C6 but too big, need to find something else! I thought to replace them by film caps.
C3,C5 are MKT Xicon
C7,C9,C10 Xicon Greenies
C4 stiroflex...
can't find 51m,3k, 200m and 1km resistors at my local store...will be changed them in the future

next step, changing the transformer...I'm not sure what to take...cinemag 2480 is perfect drop in but I'm lurkin on a T14/1...but price is high. 55$ for cinemag, 95$ for the T14/1reissue by Peluso.

as for the capsule, a load of money, will see after testing.

recording voice tommorow, will report back!

cheers;
Jr.

Hey Jr,
is the at7 mullard a drop in replacement? you didnt have to change values in the circuit from the 12ax7?

I found huge difference in quality of sound and much less gain in the old stock telefunken 12ax7 from the stock supplied chinese ones.

Hope you are enjoying the mic mate...

Mac

diyfanatic said:
next step, changing the transformer...I'm not sure what to take...cinemag 2480 is perfect drop in but I'm lurkin on a T14/1...but price is high. 55$ for cinemag, 95$ for the T14/1reissue by Peluso.

What does the circuit you are using look like?

Mac -  you should be ok to drop in a 12AT7. Ideally you should re-bias, but it'll still be "in range".

hey thanks Rodabod,

schem as posted on their website is a bit ordinary but is attached for your reference...

Mac

Attachments

• a550 schem.pdf
    170 KB · Views: 64
mac said:
schem as posted on their website is a bit ordinary but is attached for your reference...

Ok, no cathode follower, so the 12AT7 or even a 12AU7 will probably give better bottom-end and less distortion. Looks like a half C24 circuit which is not a bad thing.

The extra smaller bypass cap across the cathode resistor is probably unnecessary, as ar the two caps on the transformer secondary.

If you are using a T14-type transformer, the cinemag model is fine. I bet Oliver's is also fine too.

I'm guessing R9 and C5 are part of an unused pattern control for dual diaphragm versions, in which case they are not needed.

It depends what capsules you end up with for your final iteration of this microphone, but if you're going with cardioid only as shown in your schematic, you can simplify the capsule connections and avoid C4 - connect R10 to the capsule backplate, and connect the diaphragm directly to the junction of the tube grid and R6.

G7hack1.jpg

Edit: Oh, and this will flip the polarity of the mic, so take that into account when you wire up your PSU & cable.

Hey Jr,
is the at7 mullard a drop in replacement? you didnt have to change values in the circuit from the 12ax7?
Mac, yes and please see my answer below. ;) it seems that 6072 is good choice too.

The extra smaller bypass cap across the cathode resistor is probably unnecessary, as ar the two caps on the transformer secondary.
yep that's right! these tubes have lower gain than the stock 12AX7.

ok now I must admit that the mic not working now, I just had little time to look at it (I'm musician first... ::)) tube seems to glow, I' but I've check the schematics and my transformer and capsule wiring seems to be good but only got noise at the output...need to check it this week end!!

hey zebra50 nice tip for the G7!!!!!

BTW I found a interesting seller on evilbay

New manufacture by Peluso Lab edge terminated capsule which can be Retrofitted into AKG Microphones & Gyrak DIY Microphone
195USD
http://cgi.ebay.fr/Microphone-Capsule-for-AKG-C-12-and-Others-CEK12_W0QQitemZ170423267354QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27ae04b01a

Microphone Transformer T14/1 peluso
95,00 USD
http://cgi.ebay.fr/Microphone-Transformer-T14-1_W0QQitemZ310190297769QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4838c852a9

lot of neumann capsule, bv8 tx and shock mounts

cheers.
Jr.

Latest posts

Back