Neve style 500 series mic pre 1290 1073

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onlymeeee

EDIT:  Hi, I thought I'd update the first post to give a summary of where this project is at for anyone viewing for the first time. 
Essentially, it's developed into now having an output attenuation pot. And also boards/metal work for sale here

A latest picture from how the project advanced from my first post below to now...
2rml6gy.jpg

I've kept the original post below. 

Hey,

Keep meaning to post some pics of my Neve style mic pre.
I needed some Neve 1290 (1073) pres and decided to make my own that could fit into an API lunchbox.
For portability and space when working in different studios, the lunchbox system is great.

Works on +-16V api lunchboxes.  But also configurable for when the groupdiy lunchboxes are ready!

Wanted it true to the old Neves I love. No "improvements" necessary!
Full 3 gain stages.  I've used polystyrene caps. Motorola 2N3055. Carnhill traffos.
Mustard cap on the output.  Carbon comp resistors. BC electrolytics.  Tantalums. Grayhill 3 pole switch.

The sound...   "lovely!"  I've recorded with many Neve pres. Old 1073s. New AMS 1073s, 1073DPAs, SCA N72, and
it certainly sounds like what I expect to hear when I plug up an old 1073.

Haven't had a chance yet to run it next to an orginal Neve from the 70s,  but after xmas, will do.  
No reason to think, it won't be extremely close. Certainly closer than say,
the AMS 1073dpa with it's surface mounted components and line input ic rather than going through the iron.

Anyway, here she is...  

256tgm1.jpg

Cool...but AFAIK...Neve's never used carbon comp resistors...carbon film and metal tho.
Nice little unit BTW. How is the ground scheme and shielding working?

onlymeeee said:
the AMS 1073dpa with it's surface mounted components and line input ic rather than going through the iron.

Hmm...not so sure about this.

desol said:
Cool...but AFAIK...Neve's never used carbon comp resistors...carbon film and metal tho.
Nice little unit BTW. How is the ground scheme and shielding working?

I've certainly used original 1073s with BA183 with carbon comps which is what I believe the first ones used.  Later updated to the electrosil metal films.
Haven't had a chance to do one with each yet and compare.  
Grounding is star grounded. And goes to chassis through the 10R like in the Neve schem.

peter purpose said:
Nice knob.
Merci! And it's not even 6 o'clock on a sat night yet!

desol said:
onlymeeee said:

Hmm...not so sure about this.
Which bit? Certainly http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/geekslutz-forum/125906d1245688389-gutz-neve1073dpa1.jpgsurface mount.. and I'll try and get some clarification on the line input chip statement
EDIT:  in the flyer for the 1073 dpa it states it has an electronically balanced input. Which then goes to the 2nd input gain stage (bypassing the input transformer.) http://ankpro.co.kr/pro/pdf/1073_DPA_DPD_flyer.pdf

Wahay!

Nice one, Dude!

wot you want is a 1084 eq to go next to it. . . . . . Now where might you get one of those . . . . . ?

Are you gonna make the boards available by any chance?

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

Nice pre

Does anyone have a frequency response curve for the Carnhill outputs, I keep hearing they are not close to
the originals ? of course, I would like to see it with my own eyes.

onlymeeee said:
Which bit? Certainly http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/geekslutz-forum/125906d1245688389-gutz-neve1073dpa1.jpgsurface mount.. and I'll try and get some clarification on the line input chip statement
EDIT:  in the flyer for the 1073 dpa it states it has an electronically balanced input. Which then goes to the 2nd input gain stage (bypassing the input transformer.) http://ankpro.co.kr/pro/pdf/1073_DPA_DPD_flyer.pdf

Hmm. I suppose what i was meaning to say, is that determining which is closer would be significantly dependant on which party has the most information concerning the original....component choice aside.
I'm assuming that Neve would have the deepest body of information concerning their own circuits, therefore, they would have the most realistic probability of recreating the original...again, component choice aside.

Not saying anything other than that. :) Indeed, the unit looks excellent and i bet it sounds excellent too.

onlymeeee said:
Hey,

Keep meaning to post some pics of my Neve style mic pre.
I needed some Neve 1290 (1073) pres and decided to make my own that could fit into an API lunchbox.
For portability and space when working in different studios, the lunchbox system is great.

Works on +-16V api lunchboxes.  But also configurable for when the groupdiy lunchboxes are ready!

Wanted it true to the old Neves I love. No "improvements" necessary!
Full 3 gain stages.  I've used polystyrene caps. Motorola 2N3055. Carnhill traffos.
Mustard cap on the output.  Carbon comp resistors. BC electrolytics.  Tantalums. Grayhill 3 pole switch.

The sound...   "lovely!"  I've recorded with many Neve pres. Old 1073s. New AMS 1073s, 1073DPAs, SCA N72, and
it certainly sounds like what I expect to hear when I plug up an old 1073.

Haven't had a chance yet to run it next to an orginal Neve from the 70s,  but after xmas, will do. 

Anyway, here she is... 

256tgm1.jpg
There was a debate somewhere in one of the audio forums why a 1073 was not possible in a 500 series format. Said something about, not enough voltage to run it properly like a proper 1073 but you seem to have done it.

Whats the degree of difficulty on this build? Sourcing parts, soldering and construction?

Can you please put up some audio samples? I would love to hear this unit.  :)

This is the most beautiful Neve clone I've seen period.  500 series or not.  And it's a single slot!  I would love a pcb or a kit.  Please...

Back