Neve style 500 series mic pre 1290 1073

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the kind words!
I'll try and answer some of your questions!..

canidoit said:
Have you sorted out any bugs, like hum, noise, etc?

No hum. Thick ground and star grounded to chassis at one point.
Noise is same as a neve really.  Not noticible unless you really crank it, but then the neve is not one of the quietest pres around.

peter purpose said:
BTW David.... nice job son.

Cheers Peter. Should work nicely with one of your eqs!

canidoit said:
There was a debate somewhere in one of the audio forums why a 1073 was not possible in a 500 series format. Said something about, not enough voltage to run it properly like a proper 1073 but you seem to have done it.

Whats the degree of difficulty on this build? Sourcing parts, soldering and construction?

Can you please put up some audio samples? I would love to hear this unit.  :)

Yes, the circuit uses a single 24V rail whereas the API lunchbox gives +-16V.  So a DC-DC converter is used to convert from +-16V
to 24V.  OR when groupdiy lunchbox is available, you can use the 24V pin. (no converter necessary)

I'd say it's a straight forward build. Of the 3 gain stages, 2 are the same in parts and layout, and are right next to each other,
so easy to stuff and visually check. Very little wiring (which I always consider to be the time killer.
Mouser/audio maintenance parts.
Sure, I can put some samples up too.

As far as sharing.  I'm all for 'share the love'.  I can order some more pcbs after xmas/new yr.  I can order more metal work too I guess

onlymeeee said:
As far as sharing.  I'm all for 'share the love'.  I can order some more pcbs after xmas/new yr.  I can order more metal work too I guess

I'm sure a lot of people would be interested,
it's a brilliant piece

onlymeeee said:

I'll take one for sure, possibly two at the right price. Do you have a price in mind for the PCB+Metal work? Or would you be selling them as a complete kit.

-Joel

Joelv said:
onlymeeee said:

I'll take one for sure, possibly two at the right price. Do you have a price in mind for the PCB+Metal work? Or would you be selling them as a complete kit.

-Joel

Not sure on exact price, I'll see what I can do.  Will be reasonable for definate.  One of the great things about the 500 series along with space savings, is the cost savings!

onlymeeee said:
Not sure on exact price, I'll see what I can do.  Will be reasonable for definate.  One of the great things about the 500 series along with space savings, is the cost savings!

If you don't mind me asking, what was the total cost to complete this unit?

-Joel

Joelv said:
onlymeeee said:

If you don't mind me asking, what was the total cost to complete this unit?

-Joel

Hmm difficult one.. cause some parts I bought more of, some I had already... some I had to pay lots of shipping  etc..  If I was guessing I'd say around £250?  Something like that?      Take that with a pinch of salt though!

onlymeeee said:
Hmm difficult one.. cause some parts I bought more of, some I had already... some I had to pay lots of shipping  etc..  If I was guessing I'd say around £250?  Something like that?      Take that with a pinch of salt though!

Sounds about right, thanks.

Also, I'm guessing once its configured for a normal lunchbox, you cant convert it back to the 51X?

-Joel

Joelv said:
onlymeeee said:
Hmm difficult one.. cause some parts I bought more of, some I had already... some I had to pay lots of shipping  etc..   If I was guessing I'd say around £250?  Something like that?      Take that with a pinch of salt though!

Sounds about right, thanks.

Also, I'm guessing once its configured for a normal lunchbox, you cant convert it back to the 51X?

-Joel

That's right yeah.  You can go to normal from 51X but not the other way. I reckon if I HAD to, I'm sure I could DIY (bodge!) something to work! But I figured mostly it'd be kept one way or the other I guess anyway.

I guess the question now is, what one would sound better/closer to the real thing.

Joelv said:
I guess the question now is, what one would sound better/closer to the real thing.

I'm not certain they'll be any discernable difference. Once the module sees the power rail it's a smooth 24VDC line, no matter where it's come from. I'll run some tests with it running on a single 24V rail and +-16V and see if there is any difference.  Certainly having tried both at this point, nothing jumps out at me.

Back