transformer question for NYD MILA

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

substitute

Hello there,
I'm finally getting around to starting new york dave's MILA project, and I have a few questions about the board/hardware.  I've used turret boards for a guitar amp before but what he has in his pictures looks a little different.

http://www.twin-x.com/groupdiy/displayimage.php?album=44&pos=4

I guess what I'm asking is, what are those "turrets" that snap into perfboard called and does any one have a mouser part# for them and a compatible perfboard?

Thanks friends

You got it.

I've been studying up on turretboard builds for a pair of p-t-p eqs.
The tweaky guitar amp guys have the Turretboard art pushed far along down the road from where i am.
This blog was pretty informative about designing, drilling and mounting custom turretboard layouts...
http://www.joepopp.net/jcm8002.htm

I have some extra boards left over I think will build me some slowblow pres  ;D

Oh yeah, I should look at those too!  I'm really burnt out on PCB's, I'd like to do some builds that feel a little more "physical".

Now that stitch-o has sorted me out regarding turrets, maybe some one else can help with transformers...

Can any mic to grid transformer be used on the input and any plate to line on the output?  There's a lot of stuff on ebay that's cheaper than new cinemags.  Trying to find an exact match seems arduous plus I think I'd learn more if could understand how to chose a transformer and how to adapt the circuit accordingly.

For the input, something 1:10ish, vintage or modern. You have to pay for this part and you get what you pay for. Cinemag, Jensen, Sowter, Lundahl, UTC, Beyer(!) . As for the output, what's wrong with Edcor? They are inexpensive and perfect for the job. You can Mr. Potatohead with these things but it can be less than optimal or just the magic combination, but you wont know until you hear it. Just keep your values. I love my MILA but I cant hear above 15k and I liked the 80's. If you build it to spec, you will have a great preamp, IMHO. Once you have this, maybe build a pimped edition or one with a regulated PS and DC filaments, etc.

cool, thanks for the info.  There's nothing wrong with edcor, they just have about a 6 week turn around right now and I was hoping to bust a pair of these out in time for a session in February.  Plus I've never messed with vintage transformers and this seemed like a reasonable project to experiment with.

The A-24 & 25 would probably wind up being unnecessarily expensive and 'overfeatured' for what you need on the MILA .
Save the A-25 for something that requires a DC coupled output stage.  Save an A-24 for a Push-Pull amp.

They will both work and you'll get just under 2db less gain with them vs a 10K:600 Edcor.  The Altec 15095A would work and sound fine as well but may end up being just as expensive as the UTCs.

Just my two cents here but if I were building it I would put the bigger money in a good input transformer that makes rated gain and look at adapting to a transformerless output or using an Edcor or equivalent and a switch to have the option of both.   

look at adapting to a transformerless output

BONKERS!  That's a really cool idea, I think I remember seeing something about tube transformerless output in one of the metas somewhere.  Any roads you can point me down?

substitute said:
cool, thanks for the info.  There's nothing wrong with edcor, they just have about a 6 week turn around right now and I was hoping to bust a pair of these out in time for a session in February.  Plus I've never messed with vintage transformers and this seemed like a reasonable project to experiment with.

Are you sure about that 6 week turnaround? Maybe for a custom winding, but the off the shelf stuff usually can be gotten within days. The 10k:600 transformers should be quite easy to get. 

well, I called them wednesday to get place an order, the woman I spoke to said that they would be closed until after new years and that they would be backed up when they got back and that it would take six weeks fill the order.  She suggested I call back about a week after the holidays so they'd have a better idea of what was going on with their production schedule.  So, maybe they're out of stock, or maybe they weren't  really taking orders right before the holidays and in reality it won't end up taking that long.

substitute said:
look at adapting to a transformerless output

BONKERS!  That's a really cool idea, I think I remember seeing something about tube transformerless output in one of the metas somewhere.  Any roads you can point me down?

Look at the NYDave One-Bottle(12av7 ver).  Note the option for a tiedown resistor across the output.

Back