Testing a GSSL variant... (CRC RULES!!!)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSLtech

So we're a bit busy at the moment building three mastering suites, and hurrying to complete them in time for Christmas etc.

-Some of the gear hasn't arrived... but -no big deal, since it's just one of the two sets of monitors per room and a couple of bits of outboard... All of the consoles are in and powered up, passing signal etc, the outboard insert matrixes are all doing what they should be doing, MOST of the outboard gear is in, we're just waiting for some GML EQ's and a couple of limiters to arrive.

So I'm testing in the first room, and I'm impressed with the low noise floor. I mean these are CLEAN installations! -SUPER quiet. I wind open the monitor pot ALL the way open, to DEAFENING levels, and I hear pure, inky-black silence with the source music stopped. -I'm a happy man.

Then I find myself wishing for a compressor/limiter to play with... I have a Maselec De-Esser in there, a multiband Tube Tech and a Massive-Passive.

Then I realise that I have a GSSl test "mule" in the workshop, so I run over and get it. It's got the Turbo, the C/R/C, the electronically-latched switching banks, the VU driver and I forget if there's anything else in there. -It looked good on the bench, but I haven't heard the sound of it yet, and I'm curious what those noise floor numbers mean when inserted into an impressively quiet existing chain.

So I fetch it, plug it in, and roll audio.

Bugger me, it's damn FINE!!!

-And I really LOVE the interaction with the VU meter! -LOVELY! -I'll have to try and make a video or something... this is a fantastic thing to play with!

Anyhow, for giggles, I switched EVERYTHING in, and wound up monitor pot WIDE open, looking for noise in ANYTHING.

The noisiest piece of gear in the room is the tube-tech. (from numerous previous experiences, I fully expect that the GML will be similarly noisy). The GSSL with C/R/C is as silent as the Maselec, and as quiet as the Manley.

So there you have it. As quiet as most top-line mastering gear, QUIETER than a couple of pieces... and sounds DAMN good.

...and Fun-fun-fun, to use with the VU meter!

A video WILL be made, although the rush to finish all three rooms before Christmas may mean that doesn't happen for a few days.

Keith

Keef, your absolutely right ( as usual ! )

Have a "Turbo'd" version in a friends VERY hi spec mix room and it's quiet as a mouse :)
No CRCRC, just Turbo and the new "silent bypass" mod.

Sir, you rock !!

Have a good one and don't forget the Sherry and mince pie for Santa .... oh and the carrot for Rudolph !

Marty.

What are these?

SSLtech said:
the electronically-latched switching banks,

MartyMart said:
the new "silent bypass" mod.

Also Keith: was this the ultimate GSSL you're talking about? The one you build first..before the turbo board existed?
I still want to build another gssl with a couple of mods like the turbo etc etc, and I'm wondering if the ultimate gssl is worth the trouble soundquality wise? I either want to build a ultimate version or a version with Jensen inputs and drv134 outputs...dunno yet..

I don't mean to toot my own horn, but, all of the projects I've completed from group diy are drop dead silent and sound fantastic.  I think that really speaks to the quality of the designs from jakob, igor, and the pete's more so than my diy chops.  Cheers to group diy!  This stuff is amazing!

radiance said:
What are these?

SSLtech said:
the electronically-latched switching banks,

MartyMart said:
the new "silent bypass" mod.

Also Keith: was this the ultimate GSSL you're talking about? The one you build first..before the turbo board existed?
I still want to build another gssl with a couple of mods like the turbo etc etc, and I'm wondering if the ultimate gssl is worth the trouble soundquality wise? I either want to build a ultimate version or a version with Jensen inputs and drv134 outputs...dunno yet..

The Electronically-latched switch banks are available from Expat audio... illuminated pushbuttons operating relays... a very 'modern' look.

"silent bypass" is presumably full relay-bypass... Yes it's quiet, although once you switch the unit in, any oise issues can return... in my case the 'mule' doesn't have relay bypass in the unit itself (although it does have full relay bypass in the insert matrix) but it's still deathly quiet when engaged.

The GML EQ's arrived this morning and are now fitted. I'll do a noise evaluation sometime after Christmas, since I've got to finish up this last snake and head home before it's Christmas day...

This is not the original ultimate; it's a recent test mule, with a VU meter in it, and the ability to show signal level OR gain-reduction on the meter... You'll see what I mean when I make the video, no doubt.

As for the turbo-versus-ultimate, I basically developed the turbo board BECAUSE it's was the single biggest benefit from building the original ultimate... The small audio benefits from building the full 'ultimate' version is not particularly noticeable, but the turbo is HUGE in terms of its benefit.

I am presently having a love-affair with the VU meter interface... it's a really cool way to 'commune' with the unit!

Keith

I see...I'll have a look at the expat site.
VU sounds like a cool idea. I have a director 14 VU meter laying around. Should look awesome on the gssl....

Can't wait for the video!! Your Santa's hat is befitting Keith..

Merry Xmas all!

I tried to install a Turbo but couldn't get it to work. GSSL seems to work fine otherwise. Hmm. Guess i'll have to have a second go. Any chance of seeing an inside picture of the test mule?

hey guys

why no body make brand new redesigned PCB for GSSL with all mods and stuff

+ better grounding

- true bypass with relays, true stereo sidechain, Hi pass filters, option for transformer ballanced input like Vertigo, allready ready pcb for 1, 2 ,4 or 8 Thats or old dbx vca, better power filtering,

ALL ON 1 PCB !!!!!!!!!

well, we COULD...

...and make it better layout (less short-circuit/solder-bridge prone)...

but I wouldn't want to take away from Gustav or other PCB makers who presently serve the community.

I think we need to have an offline conference, perhaps.

Keith

Latest posts

Back