ADC patchbay and USB

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bachevelle52

Hi all. I just read through a few of the posts on ADC and DAC patchbays and while i found a wealth of info there, i still have some questions.
First: I have to be clear that what i want to do differs from the ideas and projects discussed here in the sense that i only need 12-16 inputs (ADCs) and 2 outputs (DACs). I won't ever have a need to convert the sound info back to analog except for monitoring purposes.

Second: I get lost easily in the digital jargon all the AES, S-pdif, 1S2 etc. What i want to use is USB. However, I don't know if USB can facilitate moving 18 tracks worth of info simultaneously..... I have a Pr#son^s Fir#box that can manage 4in 6out but it's firewire.

Third: The popular idea seems to be ADAT lightpipe. I'm not even sure what i'd have to do to implement this via adat on a win based system, or the cost to bear.

I like the idea of USB/Firewire because for most of the gear if used it's mostly plug and play. Don't misunderstand me, I'm quite aware that this may be something beyond what i can manage, however i'm fortunate enough to have some family resources that could help with programming if need be.

So: Anyone care to give me an idea of how something like this would even work. Whats in the chain between the ADCs and the USB/Firewire port?  Obviously system clocks and a DSP. I just need some help understanding what happens to the analog signal from the time it enters the ADC to me tracking the signal in my DAW. This doesn"t have to be super technical, i just need an idea of what happens.

Thanks in advance to any takers.....and what ever happened to NYDave?

Please disregard.... i think i've read the entire internet in the past few days and thusly answered most of my own questions.

Latest posts

Back