should i start or should i go

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgoszillai

Hi,

i discovered modular synths but never really had the courage to DIY :p
was fun buying some .com, MOTM, sherman, chippmann, studioelectronics ...but now... i'm broke.
so if i want new tools i need to build them.  :p

i found that amayzing gyraf page & thought wow everything is possible  :eek: can my dream come true ?  :eek:

ok back on earth now i have a multimeter and oscillator. :) i know nothing about electronic but i'm ok to learn.
and last problem i'm not english so i'm afraid some technical terms i read here will be hard for me :p
anyway i would like to know a nice project to start with.
like an instrument preamp for my synth so if i finish it i can go futher with comp or eq.

i've been on the fishfive page because it's the only preamp i fund. but i'm not sure it is only mic preamp ?
well if you have any advices ...

Well, your English seems very OK to me. Technical terms are almost all described on the wikipedia...and you can always ask (after you've searched the forum that is ;-))
Those Fivefish pre's look very nice indeed and they come in kit form so I think it's a very good first project since you don't have to source the right parts which was what took ME the most time when I started.
You can ask if they make a line in version (I'm pretty sure they do) here:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=33491.0

These 500 series modules need to be housed in a rack which can be found here:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=33849.0

Also, have a look at the META thread > http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=16013.0

This is a thread where important info is organized in categories such as "Mic pre's"

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=16909

thx for infos :)

well studying a bit.. the api lunchbox is a bit expensive so ...
and i found a french friend that did a G9 already !
so i'm starting my G9 hope he'll help me !
+ he wants to do his 1176 so i'll do a 1176 also  :D (well we'll see)
starting to study the G9 partlist i have my noob question of the day (NQOD):
i see loooots of capacitors from different manufacturers and don't know wich one to buy :p
i red posts about best caps for what use but don't understand much.
so i'm about to take the more expensive (philips so far) to make sure i'm not wrong ... well that's the only way i have to choose.
maybe you have a hint ?

OK
i'm starting a dual REVJ with a friend.
we have PCB and ordered the tat's rack&panels.
all the parts are ready to be ordered but i have a noob-question-of the day :)
what is the good size of the wires i need to order for the entire project.
is there different sizes of wires i need ? (for example for the power supply ?)

thx for infos :)

Normally if I need to run mains voltage (220 - 240V) around the inside of a unit, I will split apart an IEC cable and use the correct colour (blue, brown or green / yellow here in the UK) for the job.  That way I know I have wire that is rated for the job.

For internal audio connections, I got a load of shielded patch cable.  Two core plus shield is best, so that you can wire balanced connections.  If you don't need the shield, just don't connect it.

Finally, for control connections, I got a load of cheap multicoloured ribbon cable that I just cut to fit the job.  I think it's 14 way originally, so I just strip off as many wires as I need, and cut to the correct length.  This helps keep thisn neater inside your box.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Hi Rob thx for infos.

ok i admit you may laugh for the following question but ...
about the "internal" wires (ribbon cable or shielded patch cable) is there a specific size they must have to get in the holes with no troubles ? 
(dam what a "hot" question ::))

this is not a bad question!
for the audio wires i used mic cables and for the power wires you have to go with thicker cables...
the signal-ground wire should always be a little bit thicker than the audio wires...

i could work with 0,7mm - 1mm copper diameter for power cables.
For audio wires: 0,13 - 0,15mm.

if the cables are thicker you may have to drill the pcb hole a little bit larger if there is anough pcb contactpoint on the other pcb site...

Latest posts

Back