tube power supply choke...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kambo

is there any real need/benefit for choke on B+ tube PSU

ie: slow blow mic pre PSU...

you really do not need a choke for a mic pre,

the more power the amp handles, the more you need a choke, to regulate the pwr supply mostly,

so if you have a big stereo amp, you do not want the pwr supply to sag with a heavy bass note,

so a choke smooths out the current feeding the amp.

with a mic pre, you really do not have these large surges of current needed to run the thing,

so a simple resistor is ok,  you might need larger value caps with the resistor pi filter, no biggy

i have A/B ed a choke vs a resistor in a mic pre and heard no difference in hum reduction or sound.

the trouble you have with a cheap pwr supply in a power amp is all the current goes thru

a pwr resistor, so this creates a voltage drop across the resistor, which gets heard in the music,

the choke has a little dcr from the copper winding, but nothing compared to a dropping resistor.

thank you CJ. makes perfect sense. i was little confused after reading a lot about chokes.

kam

well, you might be getting confused with the parafeed thread in the Drawing Board?

i guess you could think of that as a pwr supply shoke, it just shoots upward off the B + line instead of

horizontal, but we analyze that circuit a bit differently than the straight pwr supply for a mic pre.

it is considered more part of the actual amplifier circuit than a simple pi filter choke,

mostly because of the difference in sound it offers

and also some many pages from Googled articles . they were mostly power amp PSUs based tho...

Latest posts

Back