RANDOM VINTAGE VALVE AMP QUESTION (WITH PICS)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gerardmanvuca

I've recently stumbled across a really cool Rogers Cadet Vintage amplifier circa 1963ish.....its got 25% harmonic distortion so would be really cool if i could process my beats with this....i know its not a standard thing to use an hifi amplifier for this but was wondering if it is possible? the only output it seems to have is a 5 pin (60's style) xlr for the speaker connector and am at a loss of how to even plug my speakers into it let alone an audio out. I tried sticking in a standerd pos/neg speaker wire (with speaker attached) in to the diffrent holes but cudnt get any sound out of it. Any one have any ideas how to do this? any help wud be greatly appreciated cheers.

Oh yeah...and the valves are mullard

http://www.rogershifi.com/brochure/CadetV-ENG.pdf

Cadet-Valves.jpg

Rogers-Back-Cadet.jpg

Can you not take the bottom off the power amp & actually look at which pins of the connector the output transformers are connected to ??

I had a MK III version of this 15 years ago, one of the output transformers was blown, & I had to get it rewound. 

Are you trying to check it with the preamp connected ??  I think it doesn't switch on without it connected.    Also I tried linking the mains so I could test the power amp on it's own & it hums badly unless you have the preamp hooked up to it .

There is nothing to stop you from connecting 25W 8 ohm resistors as dummy loads on the outputs (it looks like stereo) and then parallel your line inputs to them.  If you want to get into the circuit, you can usually remove the EQ circuit from the DISC input and use it as a little combo amp at other times.  Be careful with tube circuits!
Mike

First, cool find! Second, be careful! It's been said but needs to be said again. If you're not sure, find someone to help who knows tubes. These are great little amps and can sound very good. Too bad the controller is missing. It'd be worth your time and money to get the schematic. I know it's out there (I looked, don't have it in my collection).
The rated distortion is 0.25% not 25%. Oh yeah, might want to think hard before hacking this one. It looks clean and they can bring around 200 GBP in original condition.
Personally, I"d sort the controller issue, deal with suspect caps, etc. and use it with a nice pair of little speakers. It would make for a killer desktop system. Shoot, I use less driving my main speakers :)
Happy New Year!

Latest posts

Back