Any schematic ideas for battery box with low frequency roll off?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StephenGiles

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AIWA-Stereo-'Tie-Clip'-Microphone,-Ideal-for-MiniDsic_W0QQitemZ380184091911QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20091204?IMSfp=TL0912040110001r19160

I have one of these mics, which seems to have a reasonably high output but is very bass heavy. I discovered yesterday that I can use this with my Sony RH1 Minidisc recorder with the mic sensitivity set to low, and get a half decent recording without distortion. I tested it out in the Olivier Theatre last night on their production of "Nation" http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/49671/productions/nation.html
where almost deafening sound levels are experienced during the opening sequence of the show.

I understand that using such a battery box with low frequency roll off enables the line input to be used and therefore finer manual control of record level. Can anyone help out with a possible schematic for this please?

I have a mental block with the ASII circuits on this, as I'm sure many others do ::)

A happy new year to all.

yup, that's what I would suggest.  a series cap selected with the output impedance in mind to create a high pass filter. 

Sorry, didn't see this post til just now.

Svart said:
yup, that's what I would suggest.  a series cap selected with the output impedance in mind to create a high pass filter. 

Sorry, didn't see this post til just now.

Many thanks, I tested the mic again last night at the cinema. We saw St Trinians 2 which as well as being great fun, was a good test for the mic as the sound was rarely below deafening and there were only 4 other people in the room. I think my only problem will be finding a container for the battery box which should presumably be metal.

StephenGiles said:
I think my only problem will be finding a container for the battery box which should presumably be metal.

It helps, but it's not strictly necessary. I've used a project box like the one in the article you linked for a simple mic pre/batt box, and I don't believe I ever had interference issues. It's a simple scheme; I'd start with a simple plastic box and upgrade if necessary.

JDB.
[ObDisclaimer: this of course changes if the batt box has to live in the same pocket as your cell phone. On the other hand: Don't Do That, Then]

Thanks very much, in fact a few minutes ago I found an ideal sized box which contains my small aspirin tablets. The only problem is that it's made of cardboard of course, but the 9v battery will give it some strength until I find a plastic one of the right size.

Latest posts

Back