AM transmitter/modulator with built-in compressor limiter

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMTX

At years ago, I bought a couple of tube based transmitter modules for aviation band from surplus shop.
A few days ago when I read the manuals and schematics, I notice that there is build in compressor limiter in modulator side.

What is your experts opinion, is that used circuit "good enough" and worth to keep alive or is it better to re-use parts to other projects or modify some parts of the circuit. Frequency range of the current circuit might be bit limited because modulator is intended for speech.
Currently my plan is to install two modulator sections to same chassis and modify output stage so that it's compatible with other audio equipments.

Note: Schematics are for earlier version of the modules and in modules which I have, tubes are different, but I assume that basic circuit is pretty same.
http://www.swradio.net/tech/srt_transmitter_and_modulator.pdf
http://www.swradio.net/tech/modulator_limiter_srf_su2182_a.pdf
http://www.swradio.net/tech/modulator_limiter_srf_su2182_partlist.pdf

Br,
Esa

Wow love it if it was mine id at least wire it up and send something musical thru it it may do something wonderful to the sound....

Hurry up experts It love to read how this works......looks like they using V2 6SN7 as vari mu ....I see they feeding rectifier from the tran with C11/12.....R19 daul pot is threashold  ???? similar to VK1 side chain Im playing with.....C6 1/2/3 are they for release time ?? resistors 25 26 27 28 29 ? release ?.......thinks its pull pull like lots of other vari mu....dont no there are any others anyway ...tubes seem to be wired different to how iv see tubes wired in vari mu....lots of gaps in my basic knowledge but would love to here how this works

thanks for posting good luck

Not exactly Vari-Mu; V2 is a variable shunt between V1 and V3. Control voltage is positive instead of negative. An advantage of this disposition is that the input stage is always running at normal bias, compared to Vari-Mu where the highest levels force the input stage to operate at very low current.

Abbey or anyone any Idea how these sound ?.....somewhere here there is a little info on a Trimax A30 limiter I think that is same typebut bit more pro....

Thanks about the comments so far  :)

How it sounds if I change output tubes V5/V6 to 6V6 and output transformer to Edcor XSM10K/600 or is it better to use some Lundahl, like example LL1671? Or do you have some other good proposals to output modification?
Anyway current output pentodes (6DQ5) are bit too powerful for line output.

I just check date codes from components to find out manufacturing year of those devices and it's seems that those have been made about 10 years after original schematics, which are from 1955/56.

If it was mine I would have a listen to output at T2 via a pad perhaps and maybe a listen at T3 via a pad again not sure if you would need the last stage as you would only pad it & doesnt seem needed to drive the rectifier tube..... I dont no much about impedance & so on tho,could do with one of the clever guys here to help you out with ideas.............maybe different transformer would be good edcors are cheap... maybe 6V6 tubes are good idea suppose you have to change some resistor values for the 6V6s.

Im intrigued about this circuit was thinkin of breadboarding the circuit up to output of T2 ....I think I have parts to do it

Latest posts

Back