Is there some kind of coating that acrylic/enamel paints son't stick to?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well,

I had a nightmare once with getting any paint to adhere to a bunch of steel PSU chassis I made. Turned out that the steel I used had been galvanized (i.e. zinc coated) and the paint just ran off, or formed pools. Did a bit of research, and found that industrial equipment manufacturers use a special galvanized steel undercoat primer paint. Managed to find some in spray cans, and all was fine after that.

I'm sure there are other metal coatings/treatments that don't respond well to painting without being pre-treated with a primer.

Some chassis I've used have had a silicone-feel to them as if they have some kind of rust-proofing treatment? Watch out for a light covering of oil too.

This galvanized primer worked a treat for lots of difficult-to-paint surfaces though.

Hope this helps!

Mark

Yep,

Or some silicone or teflon finish that can be spray applied.

...need to look at the stuff they use to prevent graffiti painting on buildings...

Mark

I have never seen clear PTFE/Teflon, but that does not mean that it doesn't exist. try ICI. They were very helpful last time i needed some PTFE related answers . . . .but that was 27 years ago . . .

Back