1272-1290 input transformer...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3nity

The original 10468/VTB9045 has an option for 1:2 and 1:4.
And impedances are 1k2:4K8 fro the 1:2..
I used a Cinemag with a ratio of 1:2 but its a 150:600..

Theres is less gain on my Neves/Cinemag than my friends with carnhill..

but whats happening with the circuit getting loaded with 600R instead of 4K8?

Thanks.

1K2:4K8 and 150R:600R are the same ratio, and if they are both designed as mic transformers then they should both give the same gain.

Yes you are right same ratio.
but the impedance has major effects on the circuit?

My 1290's sounds are different  to a friend 1290 with carnhill ...apart from the cleaning side for being Cinemag...
Alright then i'll match the output trannie!

This being said could i use any input 1:2 with higher impedances on the secs?
thanks.

I believe the cinemag output has a slightly lower ratio and hence a bit less gain.

CMMI-2C sounds amazing....I'm thinking to swap the output for a Carnhill or Altran...
But the cinemag out reminds me of the Sowter....very same league..

The 31267 is ok for input when wired correctly but I think a 3nity might be using Cmmi-2C because its nice to find readliy affordable and easy to find solution for a popular neve circuit.

Unfortunately as I have discovered,  Cinemag does not keep the CMMI -2C on the shelf. It has to be custom ordered in quanity like as in group buy. So much for readliy available CMMI-2C

RE: 31267
[quote author=jlm audio trafo info page] 1st Best performer is number 6. The Neve 31267 line input transformer used backward as a 1:2 both winding in Parallel for  (600:2k4) has one large overshoot which as it is not to bad but also not to good but can probably be fixed by a zobel. With both windings in series (2k4:10k) the output has no overshoot and is actually to rounded or damped for use. But using just one input winding and output winding and leaving the spares disconnected lines up with the 10468 perfectly. I have seen 31267's used as inputs for clone 1073, 1272 hotrod Mic pres but never using just one winding but this is a perfect match to the 10468 and also leaves a spare line input winding and second Mic input winding for out of phase above and below drum Mic techniques.

The Neve 31267 has a 0.5THD @ +7dBM & 1% @ +9dBM at 20Hz which is identical to the 10468 which leads me to believe that the 31267 has two winding each equivalent to the 10468 windings in series which makes perfect sense really.
[/quote]

mata_haze said:
is the L31267 a good option as far as mic input is concerned?

Hi Mattia,

There has been plenty of discussion on this. In short, yes, it seems it can be used, but you lose the humbucking effect of the mic transformer. See JLM's test report and the other threads here.

Roddy

Back