adding simple overload LEDs to input channels

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MY new API 7800 and 8200 line mixer has a pre-wired connection for outboard meters for the stereo bus. But there are no meters or LEDs of any kind on the 8 input channels. I will be using this rig on location in a variety of situations, and there are times when I might be able to hear that there is a problem, but not be able to immediately identify where its coming from. In that situation, something as basic as a single overload LED indicator on each of the 8ch would be very helpful.

Two questions:

* where to tie into the 8200/7800 system (I'll ask API on Monday)
* DIY or purchase the 8ch LED box?

Has anyone out there ever done anything like this? Or have a better idea?

Thanks.

A really cool and simple signal/overload circuit for the API would be to use one like shown in this Rane MS b1 schematic: http://www.rane.com/pdf/ms1bsch.pdf

Looks like you could just Connect the 3rd 75ohm secondary of the output transformer to the points marked ?OL1? and ?OL2? and you?re done. The bi-colored LED will turn green when the signal is present and red when an overload occurs. Even runs off the same +/- voltage as the API.

Back