Scrap the Lynx, what about a digi 003?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGuitarist

So i suppose the conclusion is, there will be little to no improvement vs the work involved.

What about the 003, i'd probably find someone comfortable with smd's to help me out, but can anyone suggest anything in particular.

Obvious BLA does a few mods

PSU - what could i fix with that? Obviously a better PSU that isn't switchmode (BLA uses a toroid) or something to reduce ripple, anything to improve the PSU on that front something to reduce RF interference maybe?

Signal path components, BLA say they upgrade the entire analogue stage... i suppose this means getting rid of ceramics to be replaced with films and upgrade the opamps? Not sure about the output stage (which is obviously still VERY important.)

"We're fans of Burr Brown's OPA4134, and we substitute those for the TL074 opamps used in the mic preamp and line inputs." so i guess that answers some questions.

And that converter decoupling just sounds like replacing the ceramics with higher quality caps, maybe something else? (thanks deuce for the tip!)

And as for the clock, well i'm sure its probably just much easier buying an external clock in all honesty. But if there is an easier way, someone please, chime in!

It kinda sounds like for around $50-100 in parts and maybe $100-200 in labour (complete guess on labour) one could essentially do most of what BLA does.

But hey, some fine audiophile folks could advice you to swap the opamps to OPA2228, OPA2107 and a LM6712 (or something along these lines)...

(don't actually do this !!! )

I'm not saying it sounds bad, i'm asking if there is anything in there worth upgrading to make it even better. God knows it sounds good! But hey you never know.

Well, just listen to it and THEN decide weither it's worth the trouble. Replacing smd parts  in an $2500 box is not for the faint hearted. Also, better make sure those replacement parts don't draw more current than what's in there already since these boxes do run hot as is...

I'll share my experience with the Aurora-8 D2A.  My goal was to hear the unit minus any cheap IC op amps.  I installed bridging transformers directly across the differential outputs of the Cirrus converter.  The output was then patched into my selection of line amps including 325 cards.  The line amps all have level controls on the input which allow me to do level matched A-B comparison of the external line amps verses Aurora's line stages.
No contest, at least in my humble opinion.
While I prefer the sonics of UTC's (A-24's were installed on the Aurora), am sure other step-down transformers would be fine.

For those that might think the transformer loads the converter:  it doesn't, neither in specs or measured distortion.

"not for the faint hearted"
For sure.  One needs patience, a magnifying glass, and miniature soldering iron.

TheGuitarist - I would be very wary about sending anything to BLA. I had a horrible experience and shipping a unit between Australia and the states repeatedly was awful. I do not want to defame them on this board any further but am happy to tell you my experience if you want to contact me.

As for the analogue stage, new op-amps will totally redefine an interface however I am not familiar with the topology of the lynx. If like the posters above have noted their are opa's in the unit, you probably cant improve the sound that much with other new op amps since these little dudes are usually the favoured replacement -  and its true that if you go over power requirements you are in dangerous territory.

I actually think that another real area of soundcard improvement is headroom. Great interaces have massive amounts of headroom before clipping. This is often a power supply issue with lesser cards not having adequate voltage etc. This I think is where cards can be focussed on for reworking. Again maybe the lynx is already good in this respect.

The clock thing is a confusing epic  and over my head but I am sure others on this board will be able to provide good info.  The more I read the more there seems conflicting views on whether an improved external clock really does make that much sonic difference. For what its worth,  when I got a clock mod done to my interface I noticed very little change in sound compared to the change in LM6712 op amps that were put in.  

>>> when I got a clock mod done to my interface I noticed very little change in sound compared to the change in LM6712 op amps that were put in.

well... IOW you are comparing details in "air" versus the punchy fat bastard chip - no wonder which one wins (for less money).

gridcurrent said:
  I installed bridging transformers directly across the differential outputs of the Cirrus converter. 

Would be interesting to see some pics of this mod. Beeing a crammed box already, it seems quite impossible to put some transformers in it, 8 channels even more so..

8 ch box has plenty of space if you use lundahl... aurora 8 it uses the same 16ch board... i think its even possible to fill unfilled smd parts to convert your 8ch to 16ch...

Hey, that's NOT a mod. I especially said "don't actually do it" to dissmiss any possible spreading of misinformation.

What I wrote is just something that could _potentially_ work in a converter signal path, namely, these are chips usually used by audiophiles as an audio upgrade and claimed to be sweet sounding devices by many.

radiance said:
gridcurrent said:
  I installed bridging transformers directly across the differential outputs of the Cirrus converter.

Would be interesting to see some pics of this mod. Beeing a crammed box already, it seems quite impossible to put some transformers in it, 8 channels even more so..

No way would 8 UTC A-24's fit in the Aurora chassis.  They were mounted on a rail above allowing short wiring to the converters.

tv said:
What I wrote is just something that could _potentially_ work in a converter signal path, namely, these are chips usually used by audiophiles as an audio upgrade and claimed to be sweet sounding devices by many.

Audiophiles?  Have YOU heard any great recordings that employed those so called sweet sounding devices?

Yup. Mine. 8) (experimental music/audio, was presented on quite some digital arts festivals since '99). I'm not going to post any audio here, though - sorry.

On the other hand, my recording path (as a "regular" session bassist) consisted of modded/self-made circuits with a previous generation of "sweet sounding devices". According to local collecting society statistics, these recordings get sligthy over than 3k radioplays per year still (last "commercial" label release was in 2001 iirc).

I certainly can't speak for Aurora, but in my case it worked well. *** YMMV.

*** (But I was using tru-hole chips and transistors)

Edit: what I wanted to say is that the shorter the signal path gets - f.e. if you record straight to the computer interface (which may be irrelevant WRT to OP), the more of the impact a single node on that path will have. But don't take my words too seriously, because I also use a Pod sometimes.

I am modding some cheapo ART DIO's right now with bridging transformers on the DAC's. It is sick, sick, sick. We've had one of these running for over two years now. Now I'm doing three more for a total of 8 channels. I'm tellin' ya'...... sickness. I don't care how expensive the opamps are.... They still put this massive cloud on the audio. And yes..... doing any work inside a $2.5k box is dicey at best. Be careful. Don't destroy any traces. Ya' better know what yer doing in there. I need to go look up the A-24. I can't remember it's spec's off the top of my head. The voltage output DAC's.... most of them will easily drive a 10k load. Often down to 3k or so. It depends on the DAC. DW.

Well it kinda sounds like its hardly worth upgrading the aurora... but what about the digi 003... its my main box (because i like pro tools) and it sometimes leaves something to be desired.

I've had good experiences with BLA.  Me and my friend sent off a M-Audio Delta 10/10 and a SM Pro 8 channel pre to have modded.  They both came back amazing.  The delta only recieved an analog stage upgrade and it's faster and more detailed.  The mic pres are "hyper-modded" and they are very clean pre's with TONS of gain.  Also very fast, which seems to be their goal.  I have a 002R i'm saving money to have shipped off.  I have heard of lots of problems with them but none here.

Back