just bought some mk 012's

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

old news to most people but i just discovered these things. tried them today on overheads, sounded great. tried them on my gibson j100 acoustic and absolutely loved it. i have struggled to find the right mic for that guitar and have never been happy till now. i just plugged it in, a little roll off on the low and a little compression and i was thrilled.

i also tried other things like a snare where i always ended up with a 57, and it actually sounded better, the hat sounded better too than this aurio technica 3031 i like on hats. i will a/b it with my lawson 47 soon, but it already sounds promising for some vocal stuff. pretty cool mic for $87 a piece at guitar center. i have heard there are some mods that are great that i am looking into. please point me in a direction if you know of any mods for it.

Those are great mics, especially for the money. I keep finding uses for my pair.

Scott Dorsey wrote an article on modding them, but I can't get my hands on it at the moment so I couldn't say which magazine. I did open up one of mine and discover that some of the "replacing shitty original part" things weren't needed on mine.

I am using a pair as overheads. I think they sound great considering the price paid for them. I use them with my Sytek ch 3/4 burr brown's.

Thanks for posting the mod, I'll have to look into that. :wink:

Z

I've modded mine and I have yet to find another mic as awesome sounding. first and foremost, replace the coupling cap between the capsule and the transistor with 1000pf polyester. the sound will become sweet and less harsh! also replace the ~600M resistors with 1Gs.

i will try those changes today. i called electronic city which is in burbank, they told me a 1g resistor doesnt exist! i may have to order one from digikey. thanks.

actually i cant even find anything larger than 10m on digikey. i am assuming you mean 10gig ohm. i cant find those anywhere

the ones in the mic are around 600-700 Meg ohm. digikey does indeed carry a 1Gig ohm, they list it as a 1000Meg:

MOX200J-1000M-ND

however they are out of stock right now it seems.

as for the 1000pf cap, you can try polypropylene, ceramic(cog), polyester, polystyrene, polycarbonate, mica, and whatever else you want to try. I've tried polypro, polyester, ceramic and polystyrene. the polystyrene opens the sound of the room but leaves it kind of thin. polypropylene is open and fairly neutral. polyester opens the sound but leaves it fairly warm. Ceramic is like stock, only better ceramic caps will sound more natural and open but fairly cold to my ears.

:thumb:

You can get 1000M (that's a good search term, BTW) resistors at Mouser, and sometimes from Digi-Key.
Kind of hard to finds that are regular-sized, the super high values tend to be physically big too.

can always ugly it up and series two 470Ms or something.

I placed a jameco order of a bunch of resistor vals I needed, and they accidentally sent me 1000 680M resistors, so I'd probably use two 680M in series, or a 680 + 330, or something.

Can anyone tell me the values of all of the components for the 012? and the best type for each (film cap, wima etc). I had an 012 that i stupidly destroyed using a desoldering iron and i found a blank pcb and i am not sure exactly which components to get or what type. Pretty please can somebody help?

Back