Tape Saturator?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to recall posting this circuit before, and the general consensus was that it would be cheap enough to experiment with, but would probably not yield the desired results. To be honest with you, I had forgotten about it.

It would be cheap and easy to rig this circuit up with, say, a TL074 chip and the remaining components. Maybe it really does sound good. Who knows, sometimes? :thumb:

those typ of circuit is cool. the important thing is the pre and deemphasis.
I´ve played around with it a while ago... a simple si-diode clipper (2.2K resistor and and shunt antiparallel si diode). plus simple hi shelving filters for the emphasis. it sound pretty cool. can post sound sound examples when I´m coming home tonight...

steff

[quote author="matthias"]I copuld bet that's quite similar as used in the el fatso...[/quote]

yepp it is ....plus a few extras... :)

steff

[quote author="Steffen"] can post sound sound examples when I´m coming home tonight...

steff[/quote]

Great! I'd play with it today, but I think I am lacking the 1N34's

Saturated tape produces artifacts not unlike those of an overdriven transformer. So it stands to reason that overdriving a transformer and padding down the output to the desired level could get you something kind of "tapey" sounding.

1N34/1N34a has become hard to find all of a sudden? Wow, I remember when you could get them anywhere. How are the kids gonna build their crystal sets now? Wait, kids don't build things anymore. Never mind :wink:

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]Saturated tape produces artifacts not unlike those of an overdriven transformer. So it stands to reason that overdriving a transformer and padding down the output to the desired level could get you something kind of "tapey" sounding.[/quote]

I had been wondering about that. I was trying to research the differences/simularities of tape/transformers.

I also wonder how much of the tape saturation sound is the tape record head vs. the tape.

Dale Manquen has written much about this subject. He used to post here, but I haven't seen him around in quite a while. Check out his chapters on magnetic recording in both the current and previous editions of Handbook for Sound Engineers (Ed. Ballou, Pub. Sams).

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]1N34/1N34a has become hard to find all of a sudden? Wow, I remember when you could get them anywhere.[/quote]

Well, if "not stocked at Radio Shack" means the same as "hard to find" then I guess it is. :wink: I personally consider "stocked at Mouser" to mean the same as "still easy to find." :green:

How are the kids gonna build their crystal sets now? Wait, kids don't build things anymore. Never mind :wink:

Too true, and it's saddening to see it happen.

So how do you overdrive a transformer? Push it beyond its rated voltage?

Wait... I think I see how that can work. You have a 600:600 line trafo that can handle, say +7dBu. You feed it a signal that's at +15dBu. Something like that?

Thanks, guys!

[quote author="Consul"]Well, if "not stocked at Radio Shack" means the same as "hard to find" then I guess it is... [/quote]

Yeah, I am glad RadioScrap is not the only source for parts, but it is nice when you want to quick throw something together on a sunday afternoon to be able get stuff from them.

I found an Ampex patent for a predistortion circuit designed to reduce tape sat effects. What if you got rid of the part that inverts the predistortion?

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/image-4532604-1.html

Back