rates of progress?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mulletchuck

So, I've noticed that the progress in software emulation of gear has continually grown, and there are always improvements in the software used for sequencing/softsynths/etc.    So, why hasn't there been the same type of growth in regard to analog gear?    Everyone seems to always come back to the tried/true/tested equipment.    I mean, it's the same reason sax players keep going back to vintage selmers (except for me). 

Software emu is fairly new ( last 10 years or so ) and so it's in "development" still, with more to come.
Analog has been with us for many decades, so pretty much all the "ways" to use tubes/ IC's and transistors
has been tried and tested.
Not saying that it's a "dead" art - far from it but there are only so many ways to get a good working "gain block"
or "compression block" sounding good and reliable.
Look at a few of the decent projects and how much is "repeated" ..... when it's good  !  :)

A recent "emu" that is a total stunner is the "Decapitator" from Sound Toys, which emulates saturation and crunch
from Tubes / Transistors etc.
It's the first time that I've heard convincing "analog" sounding saturation from a plugin - Gorgeous !!

MM.

Latest posts

Back