Looking for an opamp between LM4562 and Opa2604 character.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagoausente

I know that there are a lot of them, and that opamps are a common discusion, and have searched. But I´m looking for an specific color I´ll describe:
  LM4562 sounds clean and natural in high frequencies, but I need a little more low end frequencies.
  OPA2604 sounds rounder, more "valve" or "analog", but not clear in the high frequencies.
I´m looking for opamp candidates to make the sound little "bigger" and "rounder" than in LM4562 but with high detail in the mid-high frequencies. Detail in the mid-high with a little "smooth" but not too much.
  Any cadidate in your mind?
   Thanks in advance.

OPA2107, OPA2111 ? maybe opa2227? (these are known in "hi-fi" circles as cost-effective "upgrades")

And by all means try a LME49720H (metal-can!!)

jdbakker said:
lagoausente said:
  OPA2604 sounds rounder, more "valve" or "analog", but not clear in the high frequencies.

Try to find a leaded (non-RoHS) version.

JD 'FFS' B.

I your speaking seriusly or joke like John?

Edit: Have found this quote;
[not sure if it was a serious request or a spoof of the almost-daily 'which op-amp will improve my xxx's sound?' threads we've been getting lately. For an answer to that I'm afraid you need a golden apple and a wooden horse]

I asume you are joking all. My intention is not to "improve" , but we like it or not, not all opamps sounds the same, that doesn´t mean "better".

tv said:
OPA2107, OPA2111 ? maybe opa2227? (these are known in "hi-fi" circles as cost-effective "upgrades")

And by all means try a LME49720H (metal-can!!)

15 euro unit, cost effective?
I hope you are joking aswell.

lagoausente said:
jdbakker said:
lagoausente said:

Try to find a leaded (non-RoHS) version.

JD 'FFS' B.

I your speaking seriusly or joke like John?

Weren't you joking, then?

JD 'Gearslutz is that way' B.
[and what's wrong with John's suggestion?]

radiance said:
Were will the opamp be used? What application?

I´m trying diferent opamps in the Beis AD; http://www.beis.de/Elektronik/ADDA24QS/AD24QS.html
  It sounds pretty ok with the Lm4562 and noise floor is very very low.
  DIY projects for AD conversion is not usual here, but there is a typical phrase like "there must be something in the psu or in the analog section that sets the diferences".
  I´m comparing Beis AD and Mytek AD. Diferences are very low between them,  so changing the just the opamps change the color. So I´m just experimenting with that subjective thing.  But for one channel I need two opamps, so 30 euro for each opamp experiment makes it quite exensive really.

I wasn't joking at all. There are more expensive opamps. The ones I posted are known for their cost/performance ratio (at least among hifi-ers).

Opamps rolling is fun.
Maybe you should check out LME49723?
I haven't checked it myself, but there was somebody raving about it at another forum.
It's SOIC only, so you'll have to use a browndog adapter, but it's dirt cheap...
I haven't even heard of it until recently, did they just release it or something?
I should buy some soon, whenever I get around to it...

Have you tried:
OPA 2134 - claims to be made specifically for audio (yeah, right).
OP 275
The price on these is OK.

I used the OPA2107 in a summing amp and lowish gain (4) preamp amplifier design (decoupled and with a nice filtered linear reg +/- 15v supply), I like the sound quite a bit, it might be what you're after and TI is generous with samples (otherwise they are a bit expensive at around $15).  Doesn't sound 'cold' or 'hollow', has more detail I think than the 2227 in phono pre and unity/low gain applications.  Personally I don't like the 2227 sound for those applications that much considering its cost.. with the BB ops you really get what you pay for I think (which is always too much maybe, but whatever lol).  The 2111 has a slightly different character, it's very slight and I hesitate to really try to describe too much (maybe a tiny bit less detail but in a pleasant way), but the one thing I am pretty sure of going back and forth between them is the 2107 has more impactful bass.  I rolled the 2111 and 2107 back and forth in a super simple headamp and preferred the 2111 for that app as well fwiw, but not for any especially great reason, just thought it was better at the time.  I would recommend the 2107 generally as I think it is sharper in the highs and also a little faster.  Check the sheets, it might also be lower noise or something too, I thought it had slightly better specs.  Good luck, I am very interested in trying those 4562's sometime, please let me know your thoughts as to how they compare to the 2107 if you use it.  Its specs are so good, and it is much less expensive than the 2107/2111.  Did you decouple the 4562's in the design you use?

lagoausente said:
radiance said:
Were will the opamp be used? What application?

I´m trying diferent opamps in the Beis AD; http://www.beis.de/Elektronik/ADDA24QS/AD24QS.html
  It sounds pretty ok with the Lm4562 and noise floor is very very low.
   DIY projects for AD conversion is not usual here, but there is a typical phrase like "there must be something in the psu or in the analog section that sets the diferences".
  I´m comparing Beis AD and Mytek AD. Diferences are very low between them,  so changing the just the opamps change the color. So I´m just experimenting with that subjective thing.  But for one channel I need two opamps, so 30 euro for each opamp experiment makes it quite exensive really.

I see, well probably no place for DOA's in there...How's the PSU decoupling around the opamps in there? Improving power decoupling can make a difference in sound as well...

lagoausente said:

In all seriousness: that design has some flaws in its ground/power distribution and decoupling. This may well bring out audible non-ideal behavior in some op-amps.

I would recommend op-amps that are less critical wrt decoupling. That usually (but not always) means that slower op-amps work better than faster types.

JDB.

jdbakker said:
lagoausente said:

In all seriousness: that design has some flaws in its ground/power distribution and decoupling. This may well bring out audible non-ideal behavior in some op-amps.

I would recommend op-amps that are less critical wrt decoupling. That usually (but not always) means that slower op-amps work better than faster types.

JDB.

I that case should better to correct the decopling issue if posible. Can you give any tip with that?
  The circuit is beyond my actual knowledge, but I like to learn and try diferent things. Since there is no much info of ADs here I think could an interesting experiment.
  I could implement another audio section if you have a better idea and build it in a protoboard aside, bypassing the actual analog section, or if you think is good enough like it is, how could implement the decoupling.
  I can´t offer theorical knowledge, just can build your suggestions and post the results.

It's kinda popular in guitar DIY boutique stuff these days to stack opamps with the same pin out.  It definitely does change the character.  I think I'm using a OPA2604 and a NE5532 in a DS-1.  I can't remember actually.  It does change the sound and slightly increases the gain.

I'm not sure if the strategy is appropriate in things other than dirt boxes for guitar.  Although, I think monteallums.com suggests dual opamps in some eq circuits.

You could certainly experiment.

CC

conleycd said:
It's kinda popular in guitar DIY boutique stuff these days to stack opamps with the same pin out.  It definitely does change the character.  I think I'm using a OPA2604 and a NE5532 in a DS-1.  I can't remember actually.  It does change the sound and slightly increases the gain.

I'm not sure if the strategy is appropriate in things other than dirt boxes for guitar.  Although, I think monteallums.com suggests dual opamps in some eq circuits.

You could certainly experiment.

CC

I do not approve this message..  :D

Even when paralleling opamps on purpose, the outputs are not shorted together, but combined through some small resistances, with separate negative feedback so they don't fight each other. 

Maybe use a pan pot between the two outputs?

JR

Back